SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thepollywogpond

Fall planting - how'd I do? (lots of pics)

c2g
13 years ago

Just got the last of my trees in the ground today. I've done a lot of research this past summer in trying to get my property as native as possible. I did all the work myself, from digging to planting. Here's what I came up with:

In early September, I planted this white oak.

{{gwi:464291}}
{{gwi:464293}}

This tree was delivered by the nursery and they helped me

put it in and backfill it, so I'm most confident in this one. The rest, I transported and planted.

Last week, I planted a sweetbay magnolia on the side of my house. I found one that already had a little curve to it to go away from the house. It's on a slight slope, and I'm hoping I planted this with the bottom of the trunk high enough above ground:

{{gwi:332371}}
{{gwi:464294}}

That same day, I planted this Amelanchier x grandiflora 'Autumn Brilliance' serviceberry:

{{gwi:464295}}

Finally, today, I got the big ones in the ground. First was a Betula Lenta. It got a little banged up pushing it off the truck (weighed over 500 lbs). Are these nicks anything to worry about?

{{gwi:464296}}
{{gwi:464297}}

I'm also hoping I dug wide enough of a hole, and if I should prune anything back because it's too close to the garage?

{{gwi:464298}}
{{gwi:464299}}
{{gwi:464300}}

Finally, I planted one more white oak. This one came from seed of the London Grove Penn Oak (pictured):

{{gwi:464302}}

This was balled and burlapped a few days before I picked it up. The color and curling of the leaves gave me pause, but the nursery assured me it was ok. Here it is:

{{gwi:332372}}
{{gwi:464303}}

That's it for this season. Here's a shot of everything planted in the back. I plan on adding a nyssa sylvatica to the back right corner, to the right of the serviceberry, to complete the canopy.

{{gwi:14088}}

If you see any mistakes I made or if anything stands out, please let me know. I'm taking a 2-day Tree Tenders course this winter which I'm sure could have helped me with this latest planting, and hopefully it will help me with my spring plantings.

Comments (30)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Beautiful house! I love the stone.

It seems like you planted everything really really close to the house! I noticed you were already worried about having to prune things even though they were just planted! What do you plan to do when they grow larger?

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

Some of those are planted too close to structures but if my memory serves me from your post way back when, I think some of us tried to talk you out of that and you were aware of the potential problems with that going into it.

The rest looks allright. Including the one with brown and shriveled leaves.

• Related Discussions

If you worry where to plant - make a lasagna bed ( a lot of pics)

Q

Comments (17)
    manda 3 - last year, I started in the Spring. I didn't have dates on my camera that time, so I'm not sure exactly when. Judging by the order of my pictures, it was just befor the Easter. I haven't done this in one day. I was adding additional material with time. As it was pointed out, it did condensed. At the begining, I started with carboard, coffee grounds, kitchen scabs. With time, I knew I had to use material ready for planting. So, I had a layer of soil, peat most, compost, etc. Frankly, I was using whatever I could find on sale at that time. I think, I was building almost until tomatoes' planting time. Interesting, the bed didn't shrank much more. In the fall, when I cleaned tomatoes, I removed the fence and my DH took those bricks away (they are left over from building a house and will be used for outside BBQ). Anyway, in the spring he'll build me a bed from wood, similar to other beds in the garden. As a matter of fact, he wants the space between the house and the bed (see morz8's comments). I guess, we'll have to do it. BTW, last year, I've buit two beds like this. This one was for tomatoes, the other one was for potaoes. I didn't have much soil, compost, etc, etc. So the potatoes bed didn't get much of that good staff. Needless to say, I can attest, potaoes don't like to grow on the carboard only and be covered with only strow. But that's another story and, again, quite a few pictures....
    ...See More

Butterfly Bush Stem Cuttings, where do I start? (lots of pics)

Q

Comments (3)
    I have been rooting butterfly bushes for several years(i've moved twice) and I never do anything more complicated than sticking the stems in potting soil. I take about a 5" piece, strip all but the top two sets of leaves, and plunk it in a 4" pot of pot. soil. If it is a bit flimsy, I'll poke a hole with a stick first. I keep the soil moist and pinch out any flowers that try to come for a few months. Looking back in my gardening journal, in 2005 I took 4 cuttings from my blue and 6 from my white on June 23rd and had visible roots at the bottom of the pot on July 11th. I've done this with abelia, spirea, gardenia, oakleaf hydrangea, and hardy verbenas. I'll repot them in progressively larger pots once or twice and then in the ground they go. Mere
    ...See More

Jeri Jennings Fall Color (lots 'o pics)

Q

Comments (19)
    My two Jeri Jennings are still kinda small after two years in my garden and have put out a few blooms in shades of gold-yellow-cream, but nothing much is happening with them as a whole. However, I'm not worried. I have another hybrid musk (Pink Prosperity) that didn't get big and into serious blooming until its third year, so I'm looking forward eagerly to next spring when my Jeris take off--and I'll let you know if I get a pink tint or not. Lovely pics--I enjoyed them. Kate
    ...See More

Fall & Halloween Ideas - Lots of PIcs!

Q

Comments (17)
    Luvs, I get Country Living. Great magazine! Yacht, GW is one of my favorite places to find stuff. Especially holiday goodies. Last Fall, after Michaels had their big sales, I got quite a few faux pumpkins and gourds. Love them. I did find two gourds in GW recently too. Yay. Magpie, don't forget to browse our Fall Inspiration Album. I will continue adding photos so you might want to bookmark it. Besides the ones on here, I browse Flickr and the web for any thing I can snag to add to our albums on Photobucket. I recently added 8 new images to the Fall album, giving us 127 pictures in there now. I need to add some of these in the post too. (Our Halloween decor album is separate, so go to main Holiday Albums page and get the link to it from there. Also, Fall table-settings LINK will be on my own front page (the main page, sangaree) with all the other Holiday table settings). hugs, Karen Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Decor Inspiration Album
    ...See More
  • brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

I went back and skimmed through the two other threads. I didn't read every post, but I got the idea that c2g has pretty much followed most of the advice given. I refuse to plant trees that close to houses or most buildings. As was mentioned in one of the other threads, many landscaper architects/landscapers plant things for the short term and don't concern themselves with what will happen after the first few years. When I plant trees, I always like to think long term.

BTW, the small nicks/scratches mentioned and shown in the pictures above are of absolutely no concern. They shouldn't have any impact on the health of the trees. I wouldn't be surprised if the wounds received from the tree smacking up against the house in the next good wind storm aren't worse than the ones shown.

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

Curvaceous flares on all those babes.

I also recognized the original site in question that we all picked at on the previous post. But that's irrelevant now, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your reforested back yard.
    Marie

• c2g
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't really notice how close to the house the birch really was until I rolled it off the truck next to the hole. I just didn't have enough left in me to move it at that point.

The whole idea in the back corner of the backyard was to create a woodlot consisting of a 3-tree canopy. It's a 20' x 20' area in that corner (the white oak's another 10' outside of that) and I did notice in the woods across the street that there were some pretty decent sized 3-tree groupings existing in similarly tight space. I'm sure any of the trees would look better on their own, but my ultimate goal is 'reconciliatory landscaping' and increasing biodiversity. I'll try to learn from what I do wrong and I figure anything's a step up from when there was just pavement there a year ago.

Here's my phase 2 of the back corner: add the 3rd canopy tree and a pond. (The weeping cypress is just there until I find it a home. I'm also trying to get the virginia creeper to grow back on the wooden fence (lost a lot when getting rid of the poison ivy mixed in) as well as cover the side of the garage.

{{gwi:332373}}

Thanks again for everyone's help here. I did take everyone's recommendations to heart over the past few months and look forward to using it again on the next phase.

• botann
    13 years ago

It seems a shame you spent all that money, did all that work, and ended up planting almost every tree in the wrong place. Where's the conifers and broadleaved evergreens?

The problem with 'going native' is that if you don't know what you are doing, your landscape will end up looking like a vacant lot with a house on it. Nice house though.

Run this thread by the folks in the Landscape Design Forum and see what they say.

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

OUCH!

You can always count on the folks from the PNW to tell you what they're really thinking!

There's 4 trees there for crying out loud. How does that make it look like an overgrown lot, esp with a probably multimillion $ home on it? With the exception of the birch, they're excellent choices in my opinion. Native or not. The concern that I have is that a couple of them are planted mere inches from structures. I guess that could make it look like an overgrown lot come to think of it.

Can you go get an engine hoist or something and relocate those?

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

The concern that I have is that a couple of them are planted mere inches from structures. I guess that could make it look like an overgrown lot come to think of it.

Yes.

Dan

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

Be patient with the Querus alba. They can be finiky transplants and more so in the fall...same goes for the serviceberry.

I think the "planted too close" has been beaten to death at this point. Sounds like you know the risks from a safety and design perspective.

Not sure I understand the broadleaf comment unless we're talking shrubs or very very narrow specimans.

• c2g
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok then

• terrene
    13 years ago

Interesting selection of trees, although the back yard looks quite small to have planted 4 trees, especially a species that gets huge like that humongous white oak in your pic. Personally I don't like any vegetation or branches growing near or on structures. At least you don't have to worry about the siding on your house and garage rotting out. And no painting! I know this is the trees forum, but are you planting any native shrubbery along with the trees, which might be more size-appropriate and will still contribute to biodiversity.

Nice to hear that you are planting natives and spend time removing invasives. I've been enlightened on this issue in recent years and have spent a lot of time and $$ removing them from my lot (1.25 acres that was overgrown with a nauseating number of Norways, Buckthorn, oriental bittersweet, etc.). Still working on it after 6 years!

• c2g
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@terrene - when I put that 1st white oak in a few months ago, I did it thinking it would be the only tree for that area. The LArch I hired for a one-time consultation - one highly recommended by the Audobon at Home group that did an audit for me - really sold me on the idea of having a few trees come together to form a canopy.

For this and other threads on this forum, there's been quite a few opinions to the contrary. Now every day on my bike commute back/forth to work I'm looking in the woods for examples of densely-packed, large trees, and I must say I have found plenty in a smaller area than that back corner of my yard. I guess I will find out in the years to come though.

As for shrubbery, I have big plans for that. I have privet running the entire length of my property which I plan on replacing with vaccinium and others. I've already got some winterberry, blackberry, raspberry in other places. There are other areas I plan on converting to small meadows. I'm working up the plan in photoshop and will post in the landscaping forum to get some more feedback. Thanks.

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

c2g,

Take those earlier comments with a grain of salt.
    There's nothing wrong with planting native trees. You have a small garden and the large trees you have chosen will form the canopy and shade you are looking for. Some people don't care for shade and prefer a minimalist landscape with lots of turfgrass. Others, like you and I, prefer to have the look that established gardens have with mature trees. As with most forums, for every post giving sound advice, there are a dozen to reprimand you for doing it all wrong and for being a dummy. Welcome to the interwebs.

Like I said before, the spacing was a critical error that can be easily resolved by moving the trees several feet out. When the trees become big and sway in the wind you're going to end up with damage. And that's to say nothing of the foundation damage. The sooner the better.

• c2g
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@gardeninggrandma - I regretted my placement of the black birch as soon as I put it in the ground. I can see moving that out a few feet, but which others were you thinking? I'm already started on an indoor project, so unfortunately these will have to stay where they are through the winter.

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

oh my mistake. I was confused by the pictures because you said "I planted another oak..." and it was right beneath the photo of the birch. I though thtere were two. Anyhoo, I think you really ought to prioritize moving that tree. The last thing you want to do is have it get somewhat established then go severing roots again in the spring. Especailly on sweet birch, if that's what that is.

• c2g
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do see your point. I will try to move it a few more feet out this week. PS - the 2nd white oak I referred to is in the front yard (the one in the pics with the tree gator bag on it). Thanks

• terrene
    13 years ago

I like areas with dense growth of vegetation, similar to a "jungle" effect, just not near any buildings. I've managed several properties for nearly a decade now, and for ease of maintenance and preservation of the structures, like to maintain a 2-3 foot clearance between foundation plantings and siding, as well as removing any close or overhanging branches.

C2g, how do you plan to remove the Privet? I have dug out or cut/poisoned many Honeysuckles, Buckthorns, and Burning bushes, but fantasize about having a truck and chain and pulling them out (which I don't)! This is a rare circumstance where I use an herbicide, carefully applying a concentrated brush killer to the cut stump to control the large invasive shrubs/trees/vines. I love my native Dogwoods, and have a special fondness for the common Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis). The Elderberries are fast-growing and quick to flower/fruit, and for the past couple summers have enjoyed watching a parade of many species of birds eating the berries through the summer and early fall.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Most of the fotos depict plants too close to structures, esp concerning in this thread the third, fourth, fifth, eighth. Much pruning ensues to avoid plant injury. Fortunately the very attractive house is made of stone, so siding is fine. Gutters, not so much.

Dan

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

2-3 feet clearance for foundation plantings and branches not overhanging are by no mean unreasonable. Very common sensical actually.

But you know the next person that buys that house is going to move in and start cutting everything down to make a sunny spot for their lawn to grow in so their children will have somewhere to frollic barefooted without getting their precious tootsies dirty.

• c2g
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just measured and from the garage to trunk of the birch is 3' exactly. Temps have dropped to low 30s this week with a few days of rain on the way, but I will try to move it out another foot or so if I can and if temps permit.

The magnolia is about 4'. On boathouse row here in Philadelphia, one of the houses has a couple of mature triple-stem magnolias barely 2' from the building. I chose mine because it is taking on the same shape.

For the privet, I haven't looked into it too much, but I don't have a truck, so I may also have to look into the herbicide option. I spent a few weeks in late summer pulling out all the english/poison ivy by hand, but I'll need a different plan for this.

• botann
    13 years ago

Here's where I think you went wrong. You didn't address any drainage or privacy issues and you designed in deciduous trees before evergreen trees. There is a definite order in which a landscape is put together. You are ignoring it.

After my post you say you are trying to establish a canopy with trees that support a wide range of Butterflies. I guess that's all well and good, but I would hardly think a primary reason in designing your landscape.

Your chances of having a successful pond would be greater if located closer to the house, preferably viewable from the inside.

Some people will give you feel good advice based on very little experience. I'm not one of those. You asked, how'd I do, and I gave you my opinion.

I wish you the best, and keep us posted.
    Mike

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

How do you know how much experience other people that replied have?

And where did you get the idea OP cares about privacey or has a drainage problem?

Maybe that bit was in a different thread but I just re-read every post before your initial reply, mike and op writes:
    " my ultimate goal is 'reconciliatory landscaping' and increasing biodiversity."

What precisely is your area of expertise? You mention nothing about how effective this installation would be for doing that except to say, when mentioning the OPs goal of planting trees that attract butterflies,
    "that's all well and good, but I would hardly think a primary reason in designing your landscape. "

Is this how you listen to clients? To say your wants are silly, focus on privacy and drainage?

• c2g
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"After my post you say you are trying to establish a canopy with trees that support a wide range of Butterflies. I guess that's all well and good, but I would hardly think a primary reason in designing your landscape."

Actually, that is my primary goal. Trees, bugs, birds, and critters. And there's a Nyssa going in the very back corner, too, to add some more privacy. And why do I need evergreens if my neighbors have plenty of them?

• botann
    13 years ago

Gardninggrandma, you have some valid questions. I'll answer them as best as I can.

You say, "How do you know how much experience other people that replied have?" Most people that have replied on this post have a lot of experience. I've read other posts by them over the years. Some even have info on their page and list an addy for pictures of their garden. You, obviously have had some experience, but you don't list your zone or location. That's a basic in the gardening forums. I said 'some people'. Don't take it personally.

You go on to say, 'And where did you get the idea the OP cares about privacy or has a drainage problem?"
    Most people do. I thought I'd bring it up. It's one of the first things to be addressed, along with maintenance issues.

"What precisely is your area of expertise?"
    I'm a retired Garden Designer and Landscape Contractor with over 35 years experience. See below.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden

• botann
    13 years ago

Gardninggrandma, you have some valid questions. I'll answer them as best as I can.

You say, "How do you know how much experience other people that replied have?" Most people that have replied on this post have a lot of experience. I've read other posts by them over the years. Some even have info on their page and list an addy for pictures of their garden. You, obviously have had some experience, but you don't list your zone or location. That's a basic in the gardening forums. I said 'some people'. Don't take it personally.

You go on to say, 'And where did you get the idea the OP cares about privacy or has a drainage problem?"
    Most people do. I thought I'd bring it up. It's one of the first things to be addressed, along with maintenance issues.

"What precisely is your area of expertise?"
    I'm a retired Garden Designer and Landscape Contractor with over 35 years experience. See below.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

PEACE PIPE TIME. and no will know what you put in that pipe.

Mike, take it from someone whose remarks are sometimes interpreted as challenging or harsh, take it down a notch with gardeners who are kinda new at this stuff. I've been gardening for 30 years...and never managed to post a picture to prove it....but I'd be pretty upset if someone told me "I did everything wrong." The OP isn't passing himself off as professional and if OP wasted time or money, that's his business. And show me the beginner, intermediate or experienced gardener who hasn't wasted time or money.

BTW, I"m assuming those photos are your life's work. Wow! Pretty impressive. Clearly plants are spaced well, and with 20 year growth horizon. But for me, some of the landscapes are not what I'd enjoy for my own use: too busy, not restful. Are you part of that great population of plant collectors? Thanks for sharing your photos. Perhaps you'd consider posting on a new thread so your gardens are buried in the middle of someone else's thread?

There's a thread right now on the Perennials Forum called something like "Post your photos". You could post a few or a milion and people would really appreciate the opportunity to see what you've done.

Sorry, everyone, for going soooooooooooooooooooo Off Topic.

idabean/Marie

• botann
    13 years ago

Point well taken Marie. I'll take it to heart.

Yes, I do collect....a little. I try not to let it get in the way of good landscape design though. It's a battle. My landscape is a bit busy as it is without cluttering it up with collections.

Thanks for the compliment.
    Mike

Thanks for the compliments.

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

OK. The magnolia was the other one that I was thinking of. I know sweetbays are often planted right up against the wall but too close for comfort for me. Well for the tree actually. Might not be so bad there though. The brick oven effect could actually be helpful for a change.

Mike... and sorry for probably calling you "Ann" in the past...... I realize most people are more interested in privacy or correcting drainage problems. Most people could give a hoot about attracting wildlife. Personally I like a wildlife-free garden. Free of birds, bugs, snakes, tree rats, the whole nine yards.
    If I just got done planting and a LArch and told me I screwed up because I planted a bunch of exotics that don't address the wildlife, I'd feel.... Well I don't know how I'd feel.
    But as you pointed out, OP does clearly state they want to attract critters. I'm glad someone appreciates them. OP planted some good trees for critters. Not so much for privacy but with a small amount of space, a large deciduous tree, especially one like an oak that holds leaves late, one shouldn't underestimate the privacy that will be available relatively soon compared to pointy evergreen conifers or slow growing holly or yew.

• c2g
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Temps in the 60s over the weekend so I sucked it up and tried to move the birch out a few more feet from the garage. I only had one friend available to help me and all we could muster was another foot before the root ball started to break apart. Would've liked to have gained another foot or so, but I'm waving the white flag and this will be it's permanent home. Slightly over 4' clearance now. Lesson learned.

{{gwi:464304}}