SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Yea! Lots of seeds sprouting and NEW lights

OK...last night I had 1 sprout. Today I have about 6 and they're all from different crosses! Yea!! They should all be popping soon!!

Don't know if I whined loudly on the list that my new office won't let us bring plants. And I had been growing African violets for years at the office. That and all the expected seedlings...well I needed more light shelves so...

Here's what I did and it seems to be working GREAT!! I put them in the 4th bedroom...so they don't wake me up (and my pet hedgehog "Thistle" isn't complaining)!yet..

I went to local home store and bought a set of Rubbermaid shelves. Set of 5 snap together shelves for $49ish. THEN over to the lighting section where I bought 8 "plug-in" style under the cabinet lighting. I think the fixtures are about 24" (the shelves are 18" deep and 36" long. I had to buy 4 extra bulbs (since the light fixtures come with cool white bulbs I had to get warm bulbs too). I attached 2 fixtures on the underside of 4 of the shelves with tie wraps (replace 1 cool bulb with a warm bulb for each set of 2 lights/shelf); I centered them so there's about 6" on either end and I spaced them about 2/5 and 4/5 the width of the shelf (not to near the front edge or the back edge). The fixtures with a cool bulb cost $8ish and a spare warm bulb cost $5ish. With 2 multi-plug extension cords and 1 timer....total cost for the new babies' nursery was $197!!!

It's just wonderful and very cost efficient compared to the price of light units in some catalogs. Also, judging by the success I've had with the 3 shelf unit (2 lit shelves) in my bedroom that go on every morning at 4 (GROAN)using 1 warm and 1 cool bulb...this new set up is just a larger scale!

{{gwi:385726}}

There's a top shelf that you can't see; and I only have the lights turned on the 2 middle shelves. I'll turn more on as I fill the shelves up. I bought some deep aluminium cookie sheets to catch any drips......winging it, but it works!

:-)

Kristi

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions