SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

OT: New Morning Glory Tower

donn_
14 years ago

I just finished my new Morning Glory Tower. I think I may have gone a bit overboard.

Last year's model worked well, but was not sufficiently anchored, and once it was full of MG foliage, the winds nearly blew it over.

{{gwi:379670}}

This year, I dug a hole for the rebar anchor stakes, and filled the bottom half with sakrete. Then I put the stainless steel boat part down over the rebar and tied in 4 long bamboo uprights, one per corner, about 3' apart all the way around. Finally, I tied in curvy Willow runners (Salix alba 'Britzensis' for the red bark).

{{gwi:349628}}

Before I dug the hole, I pricked out about a dozen new MG ('Grandpa Ott's') volunteers, and potted them up to use in the bed:

{{gwi:392246}}

As it happens, that wasn't necessary. After I put all the soil back in the bed, there were plenty of seeds to provide dozens more new babies:

{{gwi:392247}}

Additionally, I have about a hundred seeds to use if I need them. I'm probably going to DS them tomorrow, in this bed, and in a couple of large pots, which will get smaller versions of the new tower.

Comments (35)