SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryan820

Ryan's view of the window...

ryan820
15 years ago

Anna shared her's and now here's mine. I've got a few things going on... but one thing I do want to let everyone know is that my ill-fated Olive tree has shown signs of new growth-- she hasn't given up! Woohoo!

So here are the bulbs...

First is... yeah you got it... red nymph. This baby has bloomed non-stop since a week before Thanksgiving and has had a bloom ever since. Here is its 6th scape. A noticeable decrease in bulb size is to be expected but check out those leaves! Sorry for the snapshots. I got Carrie a new camera and it isn't what I'm use to... I'm so ashamed...

{{gwi:385513}}

and

{{gwi:385514}}

Here is a mystery-- it'll either be minerva or apple blossom but is still getting its color in. All my bulbs got mixed up when I moved so I'm not sure what this will end up being.

{{gwi:385515}}

RAGTIME!!!!

One of my favorites-- the buds are still a while out from opening but look how thick they are already!

{{gwi:385517}}

My Clivia decided, despite very little watering, to start growing-- any clivia advice is appreciated.

{{gwi:385519}}

I'm hoping this one is apple blossom because the two I believe are my minervas went into the same pot-- but this one is a little sad because in my haste to clean and pack my bulbs, this one suffered a nose chop and a scape got cut.

{{gwi:385521}}

Dancing Queens with a few princesses

{{gwi:385522}}

And bring up the rear, Picotee

{{gwi:385634}}

That be it, matey.

Ryan

Comments (40)

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Very, very nice, Ryan! I'm impressed! That Red Nymph doesn't look bad at all for having bloomed so much! All your bulbs look very nice! Thank you for sharing a glimpse into your home and plant collection!

I've got two Clivias, both planted in very gritty medium... no potting soil, at all! They prefer it this way. I actually water rather lightly... especially during winter. I've noticed mine beginning to grow, too. I'm very carefully watering a tiny bit more. Somewhere in my really long list of gardening bookmarks, I've got a great page on Clivia saved... I'll see if I can find it for you. It gives really good culture advice.

And I'm really glad to hear that your Olive tree decided to hang in there! I told you not to worry so much! :-)

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Here ya go, dude! One Clivia link, as promised! Have at it!

Here is a link that might be useful: American Clivia Society

• Related Discussions

Current views on window treatments viewed from outside

Q

Comments (5)
    I used to think they all had to be the same color but age has mellowed me out. Trying to keep it all the same is boring and self limiting I now do what I want on the inside and ignore the view from the outside and anyone who wants to turn thier nose up at my curtains. One of my daughters has pink and the other one green curtains . Those are currently the only rooms I have with curtains but then again I live in the country and theirs acres between me any any neighbors. Not that any of them have a direct veiw of my home anyway.
    ...See More

window treatments needed but…to block the view!!!

Q

Comments (15)
    Having lived myself 'out there' - it gave me 'creepies' to only see dark-nothing outside the house. What really made a difference was having professionally arranged outdoor lighting. The highlighted bushes were not only pretty, but I could see something [sort of reassuring]; others could see lit trees/ bushes, which looked welcoming, and had curb appeal.
    ...See More

Want to block lower view of large windows and allow light in above

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi there, I’m actually a In-Home Window treatment Designer near you. I too would need to see the windows to give better suggestions but I would be happy to do so. I’m very familiar with the windows in SF :-). Solars are great, just need to make sure you don’t have any privacy issues.
    ...See More

Replace with sliding windows or new bay view window?

Q

Comments (6)
    IMO post the new plan . Maybe the guest would like a door to the outside. Then oyu just replace that bay with a sliding patio door or french doos which ever works with the exterior . I also love the box window look but really we need to see the xterior of the house and aflooor plan of thenew and old spaces together.
    ...See More
  • frank27603
    15 years ago

Thanks for the glimpse Ryan! Everything looks so healthy and happy! That scape that got its head cut off, maybe not so happy right now...but he will be fine soon! What are those pebbles in the pots? Are they the secret to getting 6 scapes in several months? If so, I need some of those!!! haha!

-Frank

• ryan820
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link Jodik. I still can't believe how little attention these clivia need (or don't need).

Frank-- those are fire clay pellets. They comprise most of what that pot is filled with in terms of a potting medium. Only a bit of organic matter is in there. The clay pellets allow for fast draining soil, lots of air to the roots, minimal soil retention (or everything from nutrients to bad things carried in the water). This requires a more frequent watering schedule and the addition of a fertilizer but the bulbs seem to thrive in it. Sadly, I don't think they are what is responsible for many many scapes-- that is the growers doing (not me!).

• pumas
    15 years ago

Wow Ryan.Great buds and pots there.Is there really a window somewhere there? Congrats your Olive tree is coming back...I cannot wait to see your Ragtime bloom...I like the look of those Fire Clay Pellets too.For a moment I thought maybe you had a Pet Rabbit around.Does the pellets clump nice like premium scoopable kitty litter? harhar eh Sorry Serious.I have tried a few mediums and I may give that a try next season.Currently I am researching Led Grow Lights.It seems technology is advancing some in that sector.I say bring it on! I need safe low heat lights because of my Gitsy Cat.
    P.S. Doesnt Larissa crochet hats? Maybe she can make your crew cut scape a beanie. Peace,Mark

• mariava7
    15 years ago

Nice view of the window Ryan. Lots of flowers comin up soon. Enjoy!

Here is my share of a view of the window downstairs....

Papilios watching the snow...

{{gwi:376806}}

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

That's a cool photo, Maria! It reminds me of my own north window with all the pots in a row... it's amazing how they can grow and thrive so close to the cold glass of the windows. The uniformity of your Papilios is really something!

Thanks for sharing!

• anna_in_quebec
    15 years ago

OMG! 6 scapes?? I have never heard of that! Three is close to miraculous in my view, and 2 is the standard. What do you feed them to have such success? Tell us!!

And Maria, those Papilios watching the snow are so lovely and peaceful looking - a work of art.

• pumas
    15 years ago

Ryan buddy.I am very curious about your method of growing your Hipps using a hydroton medium.What the organic matter ratio is.How much and how you water and I am thinking you use a liquid fert to feed? If you dont feel like posting it here.Please email me.I am thinking it might be something I might like to try Peace and thanks,Mark

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

My thought is that the elevation Ryan is at has something to do with the multiple scapes and flowerings he gets... I don't know that his new apartment will elicit the same results as his last home, but we'll find out! The only difference that I can note from his growing to mine, or anyone's for that matter, is how high up he lives in elevation, the thinner air, and perhaps a brighter sun.

Although... Ryan may also be hiding a secret... we just don't know! :-)

• ryan820
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well-- all--

I've never taken credit for the 6 scapes-- as I have said before, the only red nymph I have was bought this Fall at a local garden center- I do not know their suppliers or if they grow them on their own. However, I DO take credit for having bulbs that, despite this past Fall's set-back of mold and moving and not having to un-pot them all-- I do enjoy multiple scapes (2 or more) with nearly all my bulbs except a few.

My top performers have always been dancing queen (she blooms two to three times a year, always with at least two scapes-- she's a real giver! Also Jewel gives me multiple blooms throughout the year but she usually reserves each blooming to one scape, though she's given multiple before. Another giver has been Elvas once it got to blooming size last year (has bloomed three times in a year time frame).

I don't think I have a secret-- unless there is something I don't know about myself! However, it comes down to basic gardening, I think. Yes, at a high altitude our sun is much stronger and its rays travel through a less-dense atmosphere. Therefore, I can get my bulbs to grow a large amount of leaves and leaves that are VERY thick. I water my bulbs quite a bit in the summer because they drain their soil very quickly-- both because it is such dry air but also because they grow like weeds. In order to keep them from running out of gas, I always give them fish emulsion fert and pile the water on-- but never in a growing medium that doesn't flow freely.

And Jodik is right-- we'll see what results I get at my new apartment. My old home had a big back yard with tons of room for the amarylli to grow and spread and it was in full sun. And though I have a large patio still, with my apartment, it will likely not get much direct sun during the main growing season. I'm a pretty determined individual, though and I'm already eying up a spot on the retaining wall just below our patio that will likely get loads of sun.

I am very interested, though, in the supplier of my garden center. The bulbs they had were the largest I've ever seen and clearly, perform brilliantly.

As for the soil content-- its all the same premise as Jodik's soil-- little to no "potting" soil, rather, larger pieces of material that are able to retain some water, but provide ample air circulation and also provide a suitable anchor. The balls you see in the pot are what I said before-- fired clay. A bonsai artist will often use something very similar for their trees-- only smaller, depending on the trees size. I scoop out two scoops of these clay balls to one scoop of coarse soil (ground up bark etc). The roots of my bulbs grow like mad in this medium and the bulbs are quick to start growing-- either scapes, leaves, or both.

I'm tired of typing so thats all for now.

Ryan

• kitty747
    15 years ago

Hey Ryan, thanks for posting. I think the high altitude you are blessed with has something to do with your prolific blooms -- lucky you! If you compare that to all the cloudy and rainy days in NJ, you have the answer. This has been a particularly depressing winter (sun-wise), yet mine are doing well. Now if I added high altitude, with lots of sun, just think how much nicer mine would be. They only bloom about once a year, but that's okay as long as they remain healthy.

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Ryan,

Your bounteous blooms are incredible AND your wit is priceless!

I am so bummed out by my dial-up connection (the best that I can get). I am unable to see Maria's photo despite repeated attempts. All photos today are loading excruciatingly slowly and some only partially. Maybe my telephone line needs repair...

• pumas
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info Ryan.I appreciate it Peace,Mark

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I believe the Japanese call it Akadama, the fired clay pieces for bonsai. I'm glad to hear you attest to the wonderful properties of aeration and drainage from a medium with larger particles... I'm not alone in my thought process! :-)

All things put together... it's no wonder you get such great results, Ryan! Way to grow!

• ryan820
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Continuation of my window scene--

Ragtime, Apple Blossom and Red Nymph now dominate in the epic struggle to see who is most beautiful.

Someone asked me to post a pic of my Ragtime, so here she is, rockin' it out with Apple Blossom.

{{gwi:385635}}{{gwi:385636}}
    {{gwi:385637}}{{gwi:385638}}

Coincidentally, the term "bud burst" is appropriate for Ragtime-- as you can see in the photo above, the buds get very plump and if you happen to be around when the bud opens it pretty much pops open. I would LOVE to film it happening.

*note* The first photo was taken with a different camera than the last three. The last three are truer in color than the first.

Ryan

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Ragtime is one bulb I can see I'll need to get! It's wondrous! It looks really nice alongside Apple Blossom, too! I can see the difference in cameras, and it's a better one you're using now! Very lovely photography, Ryan!

I should probably get a new Apple Blossom next season... the two bulbs I have are not gaining in size, and not showing any signs of repeating bloom this spring.

Thanks for sharing!

• frank27603
    15 years ago

Beautimus Ryan! I hope mine will be as nice. I can't wait for them to pop open already...yay!

-Frank

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Ryan, beautiful flowers & great photos!

• ryan820
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's the latest from the window--

{{gwi:385639}}
    Picotee is gearing up...

{{gwi:385640}}
    She stands very tall... measured her at 2.5 feet.

{{gwi:385641}}
    And the show begins, she first bows to the crowd...

{{gwi:385642}}
    The Plumeria, too excited to stay dormant, enjoys a new spot under the lights...

{{gwi:385643}}
    The backup dancers hang off stage waiting for their turn... Dancing Queen and Minerva

{{gwi:385644}}
    Key Lime working hard on making some fruit for the cocktails post performance...

{{gwi:385645}}
    An unknown to the stage, a bulb sent by Phoenix Ryan, offering her own to the show.

{{gwi:385646}}
    The curtain comes up and she begins her show

{{gwi:385647}}
    "Dirty red" on the outside makes me think this years picotee might not be the best quality...

{{gwi:385648}}
    But I was wrong-- pure white on the inside and red edging right where it should be!

She's got a few blooms and will be joining us in the main room for our viewing pleasure. I just need to secure the insanely tall scape. I need amaryllis scaffolding!

Rocky Mountain Ryan

• pumas
    15 years ago

It's all looking real good there Ryan buddy peace,Mark

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

She's gorgeous!! Picotee is definitely on my short list for next year.

Glad to see the newbie bulb is growing! The bulb you sent me is quite happy. I've got it potted up in my front picture window (south facing), and it has even spent some time under a grow light. The leaves have turned a much darker green already.

Your plumeria looks great! I'm impressed you can get them to grow up there, as they do so love the sun. Mine wintered outdoors this year. We never got cold enough to worry about bringing them in this year. Two of mine wintered on the front porch under the porch light, and never really went into dormancy, the rest are still bare sticks.

• ryan820
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ryan-- frankly I'm surprised, too. I think my secret weapon in this gardening deal is my ability to neglect for long periods of time, punctuated with short bursts of overbearing love.

I'm jealous of your south facing window. I can only hope and pray that when the summer sun rises higher for us, it'll give my plants some direct sun while on the patio. I'm actually considering taking my more needy plants down to the wall across from my apartment. It is high enough to stay out of people's way and accessible enough for me to water the plants.

Highlands Ryan

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Neglect and happy plumeria go hand in hand in the winter. They like to stay pretty dry until they become active again. But they are HEAVY feeders in the summer if you want them to bloom.

Hopefully no one will walk off with any of your plants. Was reading in the plumeria forum about someone who had had one planted in the ground, and someone dug it up and stole it when it was just going into bloom. So sad what people will do.

Lowlands Ryan

• frank27603
    15 years ago

Good growing there Ryan I. You will be Ryan I and Ryan II is Phoenix Ryan. How do you like them apples? HAHA! If you don't like it, just don't make me slam my finger in the door again...it hurts I tell you!

-Frank

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

What a performance, Rocky Mt. Ryan! I can't wait for the grand finale! Opening night was wonderful, though... such beauty and grace! Bravo! (applauding enthusiastically)

It's hard to believe those tiny pinkish marbles will become limes good enough to be paired with Cabo Wabo!

I have an Aztec Gold Plumeria from Cindee... it has grown a lot, considering it lives in an east window in Illinois! It seems to keep its leaves until late autumn, shedding most through the winter. This is when I cut back on watering. As the days get longer in late winter, it begins new growth at the top, and this year I'll be taking it outside to enjoy some much needed sunshine. How can I make it branch? Any ideas? I'm glad to know I must feed it well this coming summer.

Poor Frank... always getting picked on... how are your fingers? Can you play Chopin yet?

Good show, Mountain Ryan, good show! Thanks for sharing!

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Jodi, plumeria will branch when they bloom. The more you fertilize it with a fert. heavy on the phosphate (I use Shultz Bloom Booster which is in the neighborhood of 10-50-10) the more they will bloom. The more they bloom, the more branches you'll have. The more branches you have, the more blooms you'll have. Its a beautiful cycle.

If you were to cut off the tip of a branch, you'd lose the potential for a bloom from that branch this year (and probably next year too), but it would branch out below the cut.

Wishin'-I-Lived-In-Hawaii Ryan

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I don't think I'll pinch the tip... but I will pick up some bloom booster!

Funny thing... I was just reading how using a natural fertilizer, including a fish fertilizer, can actually invite fungal problems... and I was looking for a product that is higher in the center number of the NPK... bloom booster sounds like what I'm looking for!

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

I prefer the Shultz brand over the MiracleGro product. I don't know if you have Ace Hardware where you are, but they carry it (its also available on Ace's website). Home Depot by me doesn't.

If that's true about the fish ferts inviting fungal problems, I'll be sure not to use them indoors. My potted plants dry out sufficiently outdoors to prevent any problems.

• larschar
    15 years ago

Thanks for Jewel!!! I heart her :-) She looks so happy sitting in our entryway waiting for a pot :-) Ben bought me a really cool new one at True Value. She gets that one. Only the best for Denver bulbs. lol

• ryan820
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah! Your Jewel made it! I think she'll do well for you. She's young but she's a plump little bulb all things considered. She takes after her mother bulb, who is very plump and has the tiniest opening for leaves to grow. The leaves should remain very long and slender, too. The mother bulb has a markedly different look to her compared to my other "standard" amarylli.

Now its Frank's turn!

• brigarif Khan
    15 years ago

Six scapes from a bulb : That is amazing. Max I ever get is Three.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I doubt you'd run into any fungal problems using fish emulsion outdoors, but it does make sense for indoor use. I only read it in one source, which doesn't make it law... but I don't want to take any chances. I've fought long and hard to keep the fungal problems out of my potted plants!

I actually prefer Schultz products, too, Ryan in Phoenix... but I take what I can get, especially when it's not my wallet opening to pay! I think we have a True Value Hardware in Monticello... they might carry bloom booster... but if not, there's an entire lineup of stores in Champaign. One of them will have it.

Imagine... very soon we'll all be looking forward to next fall when fresh bulbs begin to appear in stores and catalogs! It's quite a cycle when you're a bulb addict!

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Soon? What are you talking about? I'm ALREADY looking forward to fresh bulbs appearing! ;-)

• ryan820
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Arif--

Until this year my max number of scape continuously was 4 scapes. I can't explain it except that the bulb I bought was (and still is) enormous and was clearly very well groomed to be a great producer of flowers. The leaves are enormous and very tall and the scape itself is quite sturdy despite being quite tall as well. I'm half-expecting another scape to appear but for now I'm pumping quality nutrients into the water and soil.

Today's photos of a fully open Picotee:

{{gwi:385649}}

{{gwi:385650}}

Salute...
    Ryan

• pumas
    15 years ago

Well done there,Ryan.Very handsome and beautimus Pico.Snowstorm happening right now in MN.Just putzing here with the Hipps. Peace,Mark

• dizzy77
    15 years ago

Wow Ryan,
    That Picotee is getting prettier by the minute!!

• e36yellowm3
    15 years ago

Wow Ryan, great pictures! I'm impressed. Looks like your Picotee has 5 buds. Please update us with a new pic when it opens. It's gonna be stunning! Alana

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Fabulous, Ryan! I don't know what the secret is up there in Denver, but keep doing what you're doing! I think it has every bit to do with bulb care as it does with bulb choice and maturity. You certainly do have a "green thumb"... which means, you do have the knowledge and the experience, and you're using them well!

Thanks for sharing those pictures, Ryan... wonderful Picotee!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Love that picotee, beautiful photos.
    Jan

Sponsored
More Discussions