SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

? for those who have wrapped their trees for winter protection

ilovemytrees
14 years ago

When is the best time? How do you know when it is tim? I know after the leaves have dropped, but is there a certain air temperature average there has to be or what is the determining factor on when to decide.

I planted 5 4-5 foot trees this year on the south part of my yard, and I need to protect them from the winter sun and wind we tend to get. I never realized how windy it is here on a daily basis til I planted these trees.

I keep reading on the internet the right time is "end of November" but here south of buffalo where I live we've already seen snow and it was just projected possibly 7 more inches tonight. In fact, where my house is we can get a foot of snow, and 7 miles away it is green skies and sunshine. It's pretty crazy. So I am wondering should I be wrapping sooner than November? My trees still all have their leaves but the temps are down in the 30's at night. I don't want to wrap too soon or too late.

I know there are those who say wrapping is not necessary and I respect that, but it's what I feel I need to do this year and probably next. Any opinions on when is the best time to do it would be really appreciated!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!