SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettylu_zone6a

My pumpkin left on the compost pile had babies!!!

bettylu_zone6a
13 years ago

I left an uncarved Jack O Lantern on the compost pile and it gave birth to about a million babies (well, maybe a few less than that)!

It was just a common smooth skinned medium size pumpkin - and I wonder if anyone knows if I will get the same (or any!) pumpkins from these seeds (are they maybe sterile?)?

I already planted about 30 at my sisters country house (we overplanted because the seedlings had to be manhandled to get them apart). I don't have room (I think) for more than one plant - unless someone can tell me how to manage it. My only full sun area is a narrow bed on the south side of my house that is about 12' long and it is the same area that I put my tomatos and peppers in. I want to give the babies away, but while my sister won't be mad if they don't produce (since I helped plant them), I don't want someone else to be disappointed if they don't get any pumpkins.

Do you know if I will get pumpkins or not? Also, if it is that easy to grow pumpkins, why don't we simply cut a pumpkin in a couple of pieces in the fall and leave them to rot/grow in place like mine did? Could it be that easy???

BettyLu

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services