SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
applebritta

Bugs from compost eating all my baby plants?

applebritta
12 years ago

I just started composting last year, and I was so excited to put the composted material on all my gardens. I planted a wide variety of seeds and watered them well. Not a single sprout has survived from any of the seeds I planted. At first I thought I was doing something wrong, but the seeds were planted in different gardens at different times and none of them survived.

Finally a couple days ago I noticed that one of my pumpkins had sprouted. It had leaves about an inch across. When I came home from work today it was completely gone, you wouldn't even know that it had been there.

So my question is, would there be bugs in the compost that would eat my live plants?

You should know also, that there are a large amount of slugs in my yard, but they always eat my cat food, so I don't know if they could be the ones eating the plants, or if they only eat meat.

This is very frustrating please help. I think my chances of gardening this year have already been ruined, but maybe I can solve the problem for next year.

Comments (15)