SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Growing roses slow; and fall

melissa_thefarm
11 years ago

As I was walking up the Rose Road yesterday, I cast a glance at 'Sharifa Asma', one of my few Austin roses, and rather a favorite for its lovely scent and compact growth. This rose is bareroot and was one of our first large crop we planted back in January 2005, so it has been in place for nearly eight years. It's in full sun, compact soil, and, like all my established roses, gets little attention, a bit of weeding, an occasional armful of hay, and an annual late fall-winter pruning. Well, the plant looks superb. It's three to four feet tall, a well-foliaged many-branched vase-shaped shrub, still covered in leaves and sturdy as anything. When I get around to pruning it I'll cut out a couple of the oldest canes and leave it at that.
Anyway, the thought that occurred to me is that TIME has been one of the major contributors to this good-looking plant: years to grow, to develop a root system, years for the ground to improve from the original composition of rocky clay and weeds. I grow my roses slow in any case, watering only enough to keep them alive, and not being very scientific in my fertilizing schedule, though I can get away with that as the clay is basically fertile. I've been learning recently that I need to dig a lot more than I used to: need to get that hay in the ground rather than just mulching with it, which can be actually harmful if the mulch is too thick. We've been doing a lot of digging this fall. But my rose survival rate is pretty good, I think; and when the plants do get some size on them, they are as sturdy as anything--roses for the ages.
After a brutal summer and a beautiful long fall with prolonged mild temperatures and regular rain, about a week ago winter arrived with snow and freezing temperatures. It's been pretty cold, for our part of Italy, as a week after the two inches of snow fell, there are still traces of it even on our locally warm property, and the ground has been frozen every morning. The behavior of the deciduous trees has been curious. A lot of the local vegetation reacted to the autumn as to a second spring, coming out of dormancy, flowering in some cases, setting new leaves. Many of us have noticed these kind of phenomena, but what surprised me is that these deciduous trees and shrubs were still in full leaf a week ago, and rather than coloring and dropping their leaves in normal fashion, their leaves simply frosted.
(I'm posting this in haste, will continue later.)

Comments (32)