SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trowelgal

Layering makes it easy to vent my containers. A tip

Hit upon an idea I thought might help others where maple and dandelion seeds fly around or squirrels like to dig in your containers. When I am winter sowing I cover my containers with a layer of nylon netting then the plastic sheet with holes on top. I secure the two layers with clothes pins. When I need to uncover the containers I just undo the pins and flip back the plastic, leaving the nylon netting in place. The netting keeps out flying seeds and squirrels both.

While I am sharing tips I will share my favorite method of WSing. I use individual cups and set the cups in large cardboard boxes. I then cover the whole top of the box like described above. In addition, I take my China marker and write on the side of the box what is planted in my cups in case I am looking for a certain plant I want to check on. On the inside of the box I also write what is planted so I don't have to mark every cup. Sometimes I will have several different seeds in the same big box. So I make divisions between the rows of cups with the flaps I cut off the boxes. By the time I "plant out" the box is very soggy so I remove the plants and let the box dry out before folding it flat to put in my recycle bin. It is so simple, I love it.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor