SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

virginia fringe tree

greyandamy
11 years ago

Hi again, I now have 2 fringe trees (should be opposite sexes) in pots, the only good thing about potting them up (root rot starting) was I got to fix the awful girlded roots more, took forever... see if they live.. till ground...

My one, was purchased in poor shape (my fault) and it's thus died back by 2/3, but I'm trying... the other is much taller, needing to get some of those roots back, but it's branches are all tangled and ..congested... I hear that people should thin for air circulation but I don't know

1) if it's best to wait till it's dormant, as it needs it's leaves (in whatever shape) for root growing) or 2) if it's the nature of the tree, or 3) some will die, break naturally in wind, storm, shock

I'm waiting for the transplant shock, a few branches have what look like cankers, should I leave alone unless the branch above or below starts to really look bad? Or prune out in winter? Maybe it's the nature of the tree?

My other one, is small and self pruned (dieback) enough that I just wonder if it will ever grow enough to not look deformed, they grow slowly I hear...

Traditionally best as understory tree or with wind protection, I don't think I have a good place for either...too tall and wide for my power lines, (most of front yard, I swear only 11 feet up)... roots grow down deep like nuts...

Do any of you have one, more completly exposed

(no wind protection)? Any pictures to post?

Amy

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths