SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Help me pick a rugosa

dublinbay z6 (KS)
13 years ago

I will have an open spot, come spring, in the back corner of my lot. Unfortunately, the hybrid musk that was there got RRD. In place of it, I'm thinking of putting in a rugosa (love those crinkly leaves), but I'm having a hard time picking one since I've never seen most of these in real life.

For that corner, I want a bush that gets maybe 4 ft tall--or 5 ft would probably be all right (maybe even 6 ft?). Width about the same--somewhere in the 4-6 ft wide. The spot gets some shade at mid-day for a couple hours, but sun before and after that, so let's say 4-6 hours of sun a day. I picked rugosas because I want something very disease resistant, but I'd also like to know which ones have the prettiest colors/blooms and reasonably good rebloom throughout the summer. I don't think I want the darker colored ones, especially those with strong magenta shades in them. And, of course, some shade tolerance would be needed.

Here are the ones I'm considering:

Blanc Double de Coubert

Alba

Schneezwerg

Dagmar Halstup--How tall is this one? I've seen listings of 2 ft and 4 ft. Is it tall enough for what I want? I really like the pictures of it.

Sarah van Fleet

And maybe Martin Frobisher or Mme. Georges Bruant

So what are their pluses and minuses in your gardens?

Kate

Comments (31)