SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Vegetable failure, rosy opportunity.

User
13 years ago

I love gardening, I really do but the last 5 years of vegetable gardening on a public allotment have defeated me. The veg areas got smaller as they were contained in raised beds and more ebds were sneakily re-allocated for a late summer border, a herb garden, a dahlia bed, cutting bed and so on. This process has accelerated recently with a huge (for me) rose buying spree. Previously, roses were planted in odd corners and edges but, after an awful potato year, two more beds have been set aside for roses. Of course, 8 years of manuring, composting, feeding, mulching, digging, planting, earthing and harvesting have resulted in 3feet deep beds of rich, friable earth. Planting a dozen roses was practically effortless while, for the roses, it must have been like being tucked up under a goosefeather duvet and given a fish supper. These are not pampered delicate roses either, but mainly my wildlings: stonking great prickly beasts. Knowing how large roses can grow (thanks, all you californians) I am filled with a mixture of lust and fear. I am certain that the space I allocated for them was based on my usual rose care regime (mean) in the usual soil on the allotment (Sandy rubbish). So, they could turn into magnificent epic giants (thrilling) or my entire allotment could vanish under thorny rampant triffids.

As if to emphasise why a smaller veg patch is a good thing, I decided to tackle the asparagus patch. As I cannot just wade in there with a fork, I had to grub around for about three hours, pulling each weed, one by one. The tedium of kneeling on a damp plank, yanking sow thistles, was only slightly lifted by the manic posturing of the testosterone maddened oafs from the cage fighting dojo opposite my plot. Good grief, they were wearing vests and shorts in sub-zero temperatures - which surely goes to prove no sense equals no feelings. Feeling righteous, I tossed quite a few of the worst weeds into the slacker's overrun plot next door.

Comments (15)