SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Marquise de Balbiano

I've ordered this rose from Greenmantle Nursery but they're out of it and I probably won't receive it until 2015. Can anyone tell me about this rose, especially its growth habit? Is it one of the shorter Bourbons or one of the large gangly ones? The flowers look sumptuous in the only two pictures HMFR has, but I'm more concerned about other aspects like growth habit and disease resistance.

I also ordered Reine de Violettes and Comtesse de Rocquigny, the latter of which is also not available yet. I wanted to see how the larger and older plants that Greenmantle ships would do for me. I confess I'm weary of bands that still look like not much of anything after a year. At the moment I'm all for instant gratification. I should receive RdV next month and hope to have blooms next year. I've been very conflicted about this rose since I love the color and no thorns, but rebloom doesn't seem that great and the flowers seem fleeting. It's probably also not the best rose for my climate. It will replace the tea Souvenir de Pierre de St. Germain which has such unsatisfactory flowers even after three years, small and limp and fleeting, and a rather shapeless bush.

The nice lady at Greenmantle who discussed roses with me at length told me a shocking statistic. Their average rainfall is 150 inches a year and this last winter they had SEVEN inches. I find that very scary.

Ingrid

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths