SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quilt_mommy

How did you fare in the April snow?

quilt_mommy
15 years ago

We here in NE ohio were hit with a decent spring snow storm accumulating around 3 inches of snow that stuck!!! I tarped with a lightly green tinted clear plastic on Saturday, knowing we'd be out of town on vacation and that it was expected to snow and get very cold. Unfortunately I had no choice but to ignore my babies, since I couldn't be home to coddle them! I cut lots of slits for ventilation in the tarps, trying not to have any openings directly over a sprout...I am not sure if I was supposed to, but I left all the lids and covers on even with the plastic, and to my amazement just a few minutes ago I removed the plastic, to find everything still alive, and dare I say, THRIVING! WOW!!!

You would not believe the looks and remarks I recieved just a few days ago regarding my "early planting" and leaving those sprouted seeds out during a snow storm. My neighbor saw my tarps and commented she thought it was too early to be sowing seeds, and a friend of the family warned me to take those flats in the house or all my seedlings would croak! I now it's awful, but I can't wait to tell them that my pumpkins and zinnias decided to sprout under 3 inches of snow! LOL***

What's amazing to me is that I even have lasagna flats with saran wrap on them (an idea I stole from Kiddo) and I was so afraid the plastic would choke them out once they started sprouting but I have a handful of hollyhocks that have just shoved their way through to the vent slits and see very strong and happy.

I am one more amazed newbie!!! How did you fare in the snow?

Comments (9)

Sponsored