SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rinomanfroni

Is this soil mix good for rock garden, and these plants???

rinomanfroni
12 years ago

This Wednesday a truck full of 25-to-30 200lbs moss rocks will come delivered in front of my house and I will finally start my rock garden project!!!!

Now I need some help from you super-fantabulous expert guys!!!

I have a loamy soil in my garden, but the problem is that the soil where I am going to sit my rocks on was lived by huge bushes that were cut down to the ground, although the entire root system was left underneath. These roots are almost impossible to pull out, if not really expensive. Can I avoid digging the soil if I already cover it with 2 inches of limestone sand (or granite sand, I still have to think about it) and topped with another 2 inches of 3"-6" colorado river rocks? I would put the moss boulders on top of this terrain.

Then off to the rock garden soil. Is this combination good for my rock garden (I will list the plants I want to grow below):

1 part of garden soil

1 part of peat moss

1 part of poultry grit

*(should I add 1 part of limestone/granite sand to it as well?)

Also, should I mound the soul before laying the boulders, or should I first lay the boulders and then fill the crevices with the soil?

Now, the plants I would like to grow are the following (still, I would like to know if these plants would grow on the south side of the house located in Dallas TX):

1) Armeria maritima 'Compacta'

2) Delosperma ashtonii 'Blut'

3) Ruschia pulvinaris

4) Alyssum montanum 'Mountain Gold'

5) Pulsatilla vulgaris

6) Dianthus

7) Phemeranthus (Talinum) calycinum 'Judith's Favorite'

8) Hirpicium armeriodes v.

9) Helianthemum nummularium

1. Aster oblongifolius
  2. Hymenoxys scaposa
  3. Saponaria ocymoides
  4. Nananthus transvaalensis
  5. Royal Candles Speedwell
  6. Callirhoe involucrata
  7. Zinnia grandiflora
  8. Anacyclus depressus
  9. Aloinopsis 'Karoo Red Mix'
  10. Escobaria leei
  11. Penstemon pinifolius 'Compactum'
  12. Festuca tenuifolia 'Angel Hair'

Thanks for your time, really! I love gardening and I would like to make my house garden one of the future meeting locations of the Rainbow Garden Club of North Texas!

Rino

Comments (4)

Sponsored