SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tjg911

too much rain?

TJG911
15 years ago

you really do not need to water your garlic as they'll get all the water they need from rain. now if you don't have rain for say 3 weeks then i'd water them, otherwise do not water garlic.

that said, it just has not stopped raining and being cloudy since late may. it rains constantly. for the past 2 weeks the humidity has been wicked high so even the air is wet preventing the mulched bed from drying out. sun, what is sun? if we get 2 days in a row without rain, 1/4" up to 2", it's like winning the lottery 2 straight days. my plants look ok but not as good as they should, i think they are showing signs of too much water. normally by july 4th it is parched around here, so dry and hot you have water other crops frequently.

i am concerned about the outcome of this harvest and the storage capability this year. if all is well, i'll be surprised. i had over watered some of my garlic last summer where i over lapped the back and forth movement with the wand in a 12' long bed and those bulbs showed signs of not curing well. storage is very important to me.

we'll see in about 3 weeks.

tom

Comments (11)