SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theforgottenone1013

My Bulbil Experiment

I've been growing garlic for many years now but have never actually grown it from bulbils before. So last Fall I decided to plant some Carpathian bulbils because I wanted to see what a round actually looked like.

The first thing that I noticed that I thought was a little strange was that almost all of the bulbils I planted scaped in June like a normal hardneck would. I didn't think they would. If I had to put a number to it, I'm going to say that around 95% of them scaped.

The second strange thing that I noticed was that every plant that grew a scape, grew a bulb. Not a round but a small bulb with individual cloves. The plants that didn't scape did produce a round. Here's what the small bulbs look like:
{{gwi:365334}}

The bulb in the picture is just under an inch and a half in diameter. They really aren't ready to be harvested yet as all their leaves are still dark green but I've been pulling them up to use early.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this info and I was also wondering if anyone else has experienced this before.

Rodney

This post was edited by theforgottenone1013 on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 13:37

Comments (27)