SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Anyone tried these organic tips for diseases?

strawchicago z5
12 years ago

I found this in EveryRose site: "Comment from Mandy Fox, Zone 4 New York: I was once told by a rosarian that if a rose, or any other shrub gets rust, treat the soil with wood ash. I've tried it on numerous rose and other flowering shrubs and find that it works wonders. The rust seems to disappear over night." There's a discussion in the Soil Forum regarding wood ash raising soil pH - Mandy is from New York, and most Northeast region is more acidic. I don't have rust in a rainy climate, alkaline clay. Anyone else tried this tip?

One tip on powdery mildew is from Wayne Schmidt's Rose Page: "Do Baking Soda sprays cure powdery mildew? Result: It did in my garden. A mixed 3 tablespoons of baking soda in a gallon of water and sprayed all my bushes, one quarter of which were infected with powdery mildew, twice a week. After one week all traces of powdery mildew was gone. The bad news was that I think I used too much baking soda because the leaves on a few bushes look burnt. I intend to start a preventative schedule of spraying of two tablespoons of baking soda per gallon of water and spray all the bushes once every other week."

I don't have much powdery mildew here, except on some tall phlox perennials in partial shade - will try his tip next year. I find his experiments on roses to be interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayne Schmidt's experiments on roses

Comments (21)