SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

any hints of fall color yet?

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

Just doing a quick survey - who is seeing hints of "real" fall color (i.e., not obviously stress related)?

Here, we have had a handful of obviously stressed maples (both saccharums & rubrums) showing various degrees of color for a month, but almost exclusively on street or parking lot trees (stressed from the poor, compacted soil, restricted root zones, & reflected heat, etc). The ones with unrestricted root zones are still all green.

However, more recently, some of the Liriodendrons are yellowing on their inner leaves only (we went from wet Jun/Jul to dry as a bone in August), & some of the wild A. rubrums on the roadsides are showing some yellow in the inner leaves. Not all of them, & it seems random, I'm not sure what the deal is there.

The first hints of "real" color I've seen are on sumacs & Black Gum/Tupelo (or we can just call it Nyssa sylvatica). Some of the Nyssas are showing a nice red on some of the inner leaves just the last few days. IME these do color pretty early, at least the wild ones do. Same for Sumacs. Both will peak by early October I think.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!