SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Planting along sidewalks

jacqueline9CA
11 years ago

We live on a very busy street, but luckily our 1/3rd acre lot has a good set back from the street, as do all of the houses along it. Because of the shape of our lot, it is much wider at the street than in the back - our frontage takes up about a third of the length of the entire block. When we moved in, the 9 ft wide area in front of our garden wall, and the 6 ft area between the sidewalk and the street was gravel that had been sprayed with weed killer for decades. My DH got out his small jack hammer and put a shovel bit on it, and gradually dug up the entire space, and we put in irrigation, and planted ground cover plants and ground cover roses, having no idea what we were doing, except that we knew we wanted plants out there! It requires very little care - I weed it and feed it each Fall when the rains start, but have not changed the plantings or anything since it was originally planted.

Here is a picture from late last Spring. I am posing this mainly because I would like to see pictures of other sidewalk/street front/hell strip areas, and see what others have done - if anyone who has any such type of pictures, please post them. (In case you are wondering, the strip between the sidewalk and the street in our case is broken once by our driveway, and twice by paths, so people can get to the sidewalk from their cars, but of course in some areas they also walk through the beds, although the taller roses do discourage this). Thanks -

Jackie

Comments (27)