SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adiro

Q. about Bulrlap and Dormant Oil for winter

adiro
15 years ago

Hello

I have purchased a roll of burlap and a kit of dormant oil to protect my newly planted roses ( all from this spring and summer) during the winter time. The oil, the instructions say to use it in spring before the roses leaf out, however I read here on GW that some members use it in the fall....

Now I don't know WHEN to start the winter protection, everybody says when it's constantly below freezing. Well, it's not: it's freezing at night and thawing during the day...

However:

!) My roses still have their leaves on, and some have buds and flowering ( The fairy ( full of flowers) Sunsprite and Climbing America ( couple of buds)

2) Some are sick with Cercospora ( sp?) as they are full of black spots and circles, but not shading their leafs ( Sea Foam and Home Run rose, which was supporsed to be disease free)

3) Other have true blackspot ( Wild BLue Yonder, All Blaze) and/ or mildew ( Morning Red)

4) Others are healthy ( Fourth of July, Coral Dawn, Fairy)

Now,

I heard that Dormant oil helps with wintering, when to apply it, if there are still leaves on the plants?

I would like to wrap my bushes in burlap, as it is very windy here, when to do it? After the leaves are gone?

According to the long term forecast, we are expecting a very cold winter, with less snow than average, and with lots of Alberta Clippers ( these are huge drops in temperature, over short periods of time)

Thank you for reading this, I would appreciate any help!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting