SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_in_tn

ramblers, scent

donna_in_tn
15 years ago

I thought while last spring's blooms are just a pleasant memory, I'd comment on Gardenia. Ann P. advised me to get one years ago, and when I protested about such ramblers trying to take over she said, "But it looks so great growing up a cedar tree." As it happened, I dug up the sad remains of some unknown rambler that had been a grandmother's pride and joy 50 years ago. Her grandson said that there'd been an arch right over the driveway with a rosebush at each end. I found and pulled out a few sprouts from among the large privet bushes. I gave the biggest one to a friend who called it "The Snake" because it crawled all over the bed it was planted in. Mine didn't do as well in our poor soil, but now about 4-5 years later it has started rooting here and there on it's way from the edge of the veggie garden to the black walnut where I want it. When it gets going good over that direction I'll probably take up the main plant. I eventually figured out that this was the 'Gardenia' Ann had recommended.

This past spring my husband kept pointing to my Carefree Beauty and telling me how good it smelled. I was puzzled until he said that every time he passed it, he was hit with a wave of scent. I pulled a rose off the nearby Gardenia and he verified that was the source of the perfume. Though the rambler was covered with blooms, they were in behind the shrub and off into the blackberries.

I could find nothing in the literature about Gardenia when Ann told me to watch for it here in Tennessee. I have only recently read that it's the world's most popular wich rambler. Though I dug my plant 40 miles from home, I now know of 2 more plants much closer. One apparently belongs to someone who knows how to prune it properly, as it is on some sort of round support and looks like a fountain each year in bloom. The other is growing all through trees along the road. I'll bet a person could dig any number of plants there.

I have Sander's White Rambler, which is supposed to be well scented. I can smell nothing, and I don't like the small double flowers. I'll probably take it out, maybe put in something I like better. I have a local pink wich rambler I call "Not Dorothy" (probably Minnehaha)because it doesn't get mildew. Though the flowers are similar to Sanders, I like the color, and don't feel cheated because I hadn't expected scent from them. All 3 of these ramblers have nice shiny leaves that look good all summer, they make a lot of bloom in spring when I have the time to enjoy them, and they don't require any input from me besides trying to aim them where I want them to go. I really like my once bloomers because they don't make me feel guilty when I have no time and especially no water for them in the last 4 droughty summers. (The veggies take precedence in summer. This is WHY I have roses, because annuals never had a chance with me so preoccupied.) I haven't gotten around a lot of other wich ramblers in bloom, but have had a frightenly good look at an older garden full of them in winter. Though 'Godzilla' might be a good nickname, I am extremely pleased with 'Gardenia'. I've given away 2 sprouts this winter, warning the delighted recipients not to come whining to me when it tries to eat their house.

Comments (5)