SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cristi_magnolia

southern magnolia tree

16 years ago

I acquired a mature southern magnolia tree when I bought my house two years ago. It is large, probably 30ft tall and 20 ft wide. Over the past month I have noticed it is dropping a lot of leaves, approximately half of them. The foilage is becoming very thin. I do not notice any "signs of problems" on the leaves or the tree, the leaves just fall off and are brown. There was a bad ice storm last year and a lot of trees were damaged, but I don't visually see any sign of damage on this tree. It was a very wet spring through June, but has been essentially dry since then with a couple of significant rains. Does a tree this old require additional watering, fertilizer? A neighbor told me that I should feed it with epsom salts? It did flower and produce some fruit this spring and seemed to be healthy, but recently has been waning. It is in my front yard, a flaming maple, and two redbud trees are within 30 ft of it, but only the maple is as mature as it is. I can provide pictures if that would help with diagnosing the problem. How do I save my tree?

Comments (2)