SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmymoon

Best Hedging Roses for Virginia?

mmymoon
15 years ago

Hello... rose newbie here! Well, newbie to the illustrious world of adult gardening (and having the money to blow on it, whee!) as I took care of my family's overgrown bushes, and even managed to grow lots of little cuttings before college killed my spirit and plants, and I took a break from gardening.

I now have my own yard, and am eager to start a proper rose garden. I have a few cheapie Lowes hybrid teas and a whole bunch of bulbs, but house projects kept me from investing enough time/money/energy... but I want to get cracking this spring! Looking at all the pretty catalogues and browsing the online shops is eeeeevil, so I'm hoping you gurus here will have some advice. :D

I'm envisioning a big beautiful rose hedge -- maybe even a "garden room," where I can take my mug of tea out to a bench. The dream, the dream... I have a 5' wire fence (goat fence + T-posts) around my yard area to contain my dogs, so I was thinking I could plant/support them along that. On the other hand, the fence would show through a smaller hedge, if one was truly only 3 feet... might not have that sense of romantic retreat I'm hoping to inspire.

The David Austin book sends one's heart a-fluttering, but I called customer service today, and the representative said most of the ones I'd picked didn't do well in my hot, humid climate. It only freezes to about -25F, but the summers can spike to nearly 100F lately, and it can be humid as all get out.

Actually, the rep recommended Comte de Chambord -- which isn't an Austin rose at all! It made me begin to rethink my decision to go with those... although Harlow Carr or Queen of Sweden both look nice, I will probably opt for one of Austin's "hedging specials" if I can't figure out anything better. I'd prefer a pink rose, the more petals the better, but I'd honestly just like something that will thrive well here. I have fibromyalgia, and while I enjoy a bit of zen pruning, but I haven't yet convinced myself to spray regularly... although I probably should at least with an organic option. (Beetles! Arg!)

This is turning into a novel, forgive me! I'm just curious to hear thoughts about a nice hardy pink hedge... (and, preferably, a good supplier!) Help me exhaust my bank account and back! ;)

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio