SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vegasgardener

Some Elephant Garlic questions

VegasGardener
10 years ago

I got a bunch of elephant garlic cloves last year and planted them in the soil to overwinter them(doesn't get that cold here in Tucson, but cold enough I guess). They did grow well, but now it is May and I have a few questions...

some background info
1.They are in my community garden, and I will be moving out of state in July to a similar environment place, a little hotter, zone 8.
2. They are all flowering.
3. I pulled a test bulb from the ground today out of curiosity. It was the size of my hand or bigger, I can't tell if it has split into cloves or not, and has some baby cloves hanging off of it(see picture)

questions
1. If I want to save the baby cloves to plant, do i just let them dry up and hold onto them to plant in the fall?

2. I can't tell if the bulb has differentiated into cloves or not, but I read that "they are a single bulb in the years that the plants don't go to flower or seed." And these went to flower, so does that mean it either is separated into cloves after one winter of growth from a clove, or the other remaining ones will split if I leave the other ones in there longer? I know I pulled this one out early, but curiosity got to me, and I figure it's one out of a lot of plants I have growing.

3. if it is not split into cloves, do I have to basically eat/use it all in one sitting?

thanks Elephant garlic experts :)

This post was edited by VegasGardener on Fri, May 2, 14 at 21:01

Comments (7)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES