SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neohippie

Where's the best place for me to store my garlic?

neohippie
13 years ago

Hello!

As I've mentioned before, this is my first year seriously growing garlic. Thanks for answering all my questions so far. I grew several different varieties, and now have started harvesting Chet's Italian Red, while the other softnecks are not far behind (and the hardnecks and elephant are doing the scape thing... which are REALLY good in stir fry, by the way).

My next question is how should I store my garlic to re-plant this fall? I know I can dry or freeze some for culinary use, but I'll like to plant the ones that did the best.

I read that ideal conditions are 50-70 degrees with 50-70% humidity. Ok, that's nice, but what if I don't have those ideal conditions? Here are my options:

The Fridge - have a feeling that wouldn't be good. I'm always told to not put garlic, onions, or potatoes there.

The Garage - gets really hot in the summer, like in the 90's. That would be the most convenient place for me if it weren't for the heat.

Somewhere in the House - In the summer we keep it around 75-80 degrees in here. I could make room for them in the kitchen or something, but since store bought garlic kept on the counter often sprouts, I'm worried the homegrown would too.

So which of those places would be best (or least bad) for keeping my garlic?

Comments (5)