SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

Onion Harvest...not sure what to do next

pqtex
10 years ago

I may have boo-booed on my onion harvest. I'm a long time poster/reader on the Harvest Forum, but this is my first time here. I've read a lot of old threads with onion harvest topics, but I need some additional advice. Sorry this is long and wordy.

I'm in southeast Texas...the days are in the 80's now. The onions are big yellow onions (don't remember the variety the husband planted), and we have been using them as needed, but now the majority of the crop is ready to harvest, I think.

The tops didn't "fall over" but most of them are definitely turning yellow and brown and drying up. The onions have formed really nice, big bulbs that are about 2/3 above the soil. Some are almost at the very top of the soil.

I'd read to "push them over" when the tops flopped or dried, and misinterpreted that to mean push the entire onion over. So I pulled all the onions or pushed the onion over and left it to lay in the row. Some had the roots barely attached to the soil, and some seemed still rooted.

So now the plan was to leave them in the row for a day or two and then bring them in to a covered porch to cure. I see some rain clouds in the sky and now I'm worried about them getting rained on out there.

I started reviewing harvest instructions and have seen a variety of suggestions. Some say push the TOPS over or step on them, but to leave the onion in the ground for another 10 days or so.

What should I do now that the entire onion is all the way over and out of the ground?

Will rain hurt the exposed bulbs or just wash off dirt?

Should I go ahead and bring them on in to lay out on my screened porch?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks,

Jill

Comments (7)