SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fairydancer_gw

Conclusion - Milk Jugs are the Best

17 years ago

Especially with the whacky weather we had this spring, I'm finding that the milk jugs best handled the weather swings and have yeilded the best germination rates and healthiest looking seedlings.

No brainers like poppies, clarkia, godetia and silene were done in syrofoam cups covered with saran wrap and a rubber band. They started to germinate, then we got heavy wet snow and freezing temps for 2 weeks followed by a week hitting 80+ degrees for a few days. All seedlings perished and I haven't seen anymore. I've also got lots of delphs in cottage cheese containers, and am bummed because I've got zero germination here too. I'm still giving them a few more weeks. I'm thinking the problem is that there is not enough room for air between the top of the soil and the plastic wrap. I've got larger vents in the plastic wrap now that it is consistently warm, but I think it's too late.

On the positive note, dianthus, ruds, butterfly bush, daisies, echinops, echinacea, malvas, godetias and more that are in milk jugs survived superbly, and I get more and more germination each day. I like the cups for some things because they are so easy to plant out, but I think I'll consider switching to all milk jugs in the future.

Overall, I'm impressed that so many seedlings survived at all. Such a strange, strange spring. Some jugs only have 1 or 2 seedlings so far, but that is fine with me.

Deb

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services