SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
devilpup_gw

Low-Maintenance Trees for High Desert?

devilpup
12 years ago

Hello,

I've been trying to find some nice low-maintenance trees that will work in the high desert area of southern AZ. The property I have is about 1.5 acres, so there's plenty of space. Most of the stuff we find locally are thorny mesquite trees, but there are some pines and other things nearby. I'm trying to find some trees that will survive well here without having to water them all the time. This is what I'm looking at:

1) Thornless Honeylocust - This looks like it would make a good shade tree but I haven't seen them for sale here. I was thinking one of these would work well near the back of the yard since if it ever dropped branches or fell over it would be far enough away to not smash anything.

2) Chinese Pistache - Another tree that looks good but I haven't seen any for sale here. We want to set up a playground for the kids and I think this would make a good tree to shade it.

3) Afghan/pinyon pine - There are a few pine trees here that have been planted by locals, but I'm not sure what type they are. These claim to not need a lot of water so I figure once they're established they should grow well.

4) More mesquites - Figure there are already some growing, so if there weren't a lot of other options I could just get some thornless variety and plant that for shade.

Can you guys think of any other low-no water trees that would grow well in this environment? Are there any special considerations you can think of with the trees I mentioned? Thanks.

Comments (20)