SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoseman_gw

Leaves Dead on Sugar Maple

hoseman
16 years ago

I have a nice size sugar maple that has been doing well for over six years. Back in the middle of May I noticed the some of the leaves were turning yellow and others had their edges burned. I did some research and came to the conclusion it was leaf scorch from the drought and heat we had been in the last year or so.

I started watering the tree every three weeks with a soaker hose until I could easily insert a rod into the soil around the tree for several inches. The tree has been mulched since very early spring. The yellowing and scorching of the leaves stopped. There were more green leaves on the tree than damaged ones.

However, in the last week all the leaves have dried up and become brittle. It looks almost like an oak tree that has become dormant in the fall and keeps its leaves.

My question is has anyone had a tree that has been this far gone and then seen it come back the next year?

My first inclination is to write it off. I have already planned to replace it with a more stress tolerance tree such as the Zelkova serrata. But, I have a lot invested in this tree and would like to see it come back.

Comment (1)