SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pizzagod

Blood Meal (and Bone Meal) for Garlic & Onions

Pizzagod
19 years ago

I planted some garlic (and a few onions) about 5-6 months ago. They have been growing well. Some of the garlic is 2+ feet high.

I didn't amend the soil much when planting (only a little), and I decided to give them a little bit of blood meal (as I've heard is great for garlic). I bought a box, and sprinkled a little around each plant. Then, I watered.

I didn't look at them for 2-3 days, and when I just went out to check on them, about 10% of them have fallen over. They're still green and healthy-looking, just "leaning", or completely laying down.

I don't believe blood meal would do anything like this. I only used a little bit. I'm more apt to think that the blood meal attracted neighborhood cats, and they jumped in the garden to check it out (squishing down the tops of the garlic and onions, in the process). Is this feasible? Are animals attracted to blood meal?

As far as the ones pushed over, should I just leave them, or should I prop them up with stakes? Are they pretty much done for, and should I pull them out?

I also bought bone meal at the same time, but haven't put any on yet. I was planning on waiting a few weeks. Any suggestions/precautions on using bone meal on the garlic and onions?

Thanks in advance...

Comments (11)