SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allison64_gw

Decoupage Garden Markers

allison64
14 years ago

I saw this and thought of you all. Especially the rosey people that have real winters and can't be outside with your roses.

It seems pretty simple and with the gorgeous photos we get in our catalogs (sitting in a stack...) I've often thought a pic on my markers would be neat. (Might even help with rose layout)

Decoupage Garden Markers

Materials:

* Plant images and names cut from your seed catalogs or magazines

* Cardboard or balsa wood rectangles to fit your images

* Wooden tongue depressors, popsicle sticks or stainless steel skewers as stakes to mount your plant tags and poke them into the ground

* ElmerÂs Glue-All or Mod Podge

* Scissors

* Small bowl of water

* Acrylic paint (optional)

Decoupage the Markers

This is a great tip from Durwin Rice. If you are using images with color on both sides (like from a catalog or magazine), soak each image in a small bowl of water until it stops curling and floats freely without wrinkles.

This relaxes the paper fibers making it much easier to position the image cleanly on the decoupage glue/sealer. Images will slide easily into place and not be "grabbed" by the glue.

Liberally apply glue/sealer to the area for each image and slide the image into place. Gently smooth out any wrinkles or bubbles with your fingertips.

Using a damp sponge, wipe over the image and around the edges to remove any stray glue.

Repeat until all your images and plant names are in place.

Let dry thoroughly.

Check for bubbles while they dry. If some develop, smooth gently. If they are already set, pierce with a pin or craft knife, then smooth. It wonÂt even show when your piece is done.

Plant Marker Back (optional)

Paint the back of each tag with two coats of acrylic paint.

Embellish (Optional)

Use a wide nib pen to draw outlines, background patterns or border trims on the front. Run the pen around the edge to give a nice finished look.

Seal Your Decoupage Project

Using a sponge brush, apply at least two coats of acrylic-based polyurethane. Since the markers will be exposed to the elements, three or four would be better.

YouÂll also see how additional coats add a special depth. Your markers will look as if you hand painted them!

Mount

Using appropriate glue or fasteners, attach each plant label tag to a stake.

On the back could be info on rose.

Also, I read if using ink jet pics "The answer to sealing inkjet prints for decoupage is to coat the printed surface with ElmerÂs or other PVA glue.

Dilute with a little bit of water so it goes on smoothly. This will seal any ink....from inkjet or even magazines."

Pretty cool!

Allison

Comments (9)

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing! I may actually do this - not just say I'm going to! lol

I have some rose markers that seem to come apart and get lost. So now I have some roses that I can't remember what they were. I think these markers could be more durable than the ones I currently have.

I do have a funny story. My daughter came to visit this summer (she lives 2 hours away, but only comes 2 times a year). Anyway, I had planted a new rose garden marked with the above mentioned rose markers. After showing her around, with her making no comment, I fished for a compliment and asked her "well, how do you like my roses?" She looked out at them and started laughing. Laughing! What's so funny?, I asked. She said "Mom, it's a good thing you're already married because with your obsession with roses and those ROSE MARKERS no one would ever marry you from now on!" I was taken aback, but the funny thing is - I thought of Juliet on this forum and wondered if she has rose markers. Obviously it's the kiss of death for romance. :/

• allison64
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't hear about Juliet?
    I don't have but a couple minis blooming out of my 60 or 70 roses, so when I give my Dad a tour it's pretty funny. I make him walk through all of them when he comes over every couple weeks, LOL! He always says, next year (most are new) they will look great! ahahaha! He is impressed with the amount of roses I have acquired in such a short time. lol The tour of the canes and leaves....
    I'm married and he is stuck with me, markers, alfalfa tea and all!
    Now I have to learn to sit my butt down so I can make the markers! I really want to. Sometimes I wish we had a real winter to give me an excuse to stay in and quilt and such.
    I hope you do make the markers!
    Allison

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

Oops - Juliet is on the Antique Rose forum. I visit them both and sometimes get them mixed up. But she is a lovely girl, young and single. Unlike me - old and married! lol

My parents feel the same way about my roses as your Dad probably does - just mystified by what I see in them. Your Dad sounds sweet. I keep thinking 'next year' too. Isn't it great that even though our gardens may not look like we want them to now, we always have 'next year'. Gives me hope.

I love your marker idea because even if the rose is not blooming, maybe others can get an idea of what the garden will look like when it's mature. It also is a great thing to have to mix colors with. Some of my roses I'm not sure will 'go together', but I just planted them in the hopes things would blend. The markers would help me to know what it will all look like eventually.

GREAT idea!

• trishaw
    14 years ago

My family all understand my weirdness. Mostly since my Brother and Sister in law have it themselves and my Dad got me into this in the first place! My kids have been around roses since they were tiny. Once the boys were old enough to hold a shovel they were helping! Both have spent several summers working at the nursery too.

My youngest is now using the garden as a "chick magnet". He knows which roses he likes and has big plans for next spring. I foresee lots of teen girls being led around my garden!

I love crafty stuff and I am going to try this. I have most of the materials already. Thanks for sharing this.

Trish

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    14 years ago

Any of you who do actually make these, please post photos! I would love to see how they turn out. I haven't decoupaged anything in almost 40 years, but I might have to consider getting back into it for something like this if they would last a few years. My only concern is after all that effort, will they fade out quickly in the sunny rose beds and need re-doing every year? I know the poly will protect from moisture, but I wonder about UV rays? (Really, I'm not trying to be a kill-joy, I'm just wondering!)
    ;-)
    Anne

• allison64
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Holleygarden, that is exactly what I was thinking about seeing them when they aren't blooming. Especially for new gardens, not established. I frequent the Antique forum (thanks to Ashdown, I was bit! :-)). I must have missed Juliets tale.
    My Dad is very sweet, so sweet I have given him a bunch of rose plants! Kinda like when I was doing Persian cat rescue, my parents ended up with a few. :-) He's glad I am into roses now...

Trish, you better get a production line going! lol Are you up to 400 roses now? Whew! How awesome is it that your roses are a chick magnet! My boy is the same age (I believe) I am going to have to subliminally program him..... I am so happy for you! Right now my son is looking at my canes and leaves and finding leaves that don't look "well" and pointing them out like I am doing something wrong!! Niiice.

As an aside, "Old Gray Cemetery Noisette" and La Marne(poly tea), both from Ashdown, have a couple blooms. The blooms and fragrance are AWESOME!!! The blooms on both last forever, on plant. I have NEVER smelled roses like this, just heaven. (I don't have the different rose smells down what so ever so I can't tell you what they are like, darn it.)

Allison

• anntn6b
    14 years ago

About Decoupage like things: we've tried a lot of markers but mostly have laminated them. What we learned might help.
    Never, ever lay the labels flat on anything. The sun in a cruel mistress and will bleach out the strong colors first and everything else soon after.
    Putting something on a vertical stick is a start, especially if there's a slight overhang protecting it. If the printed part either faces north or is shaded by the rose bush, it will last.

• trishaw
    14 years ago

Thanks Ann! That is very good advice. I will attempt to have the bush shade each sign. I am really looking forward to seeing how these turn out.

I am so glad you are enjoying your roses Allison! I am not quite to 400 yet. I should hit about 250 in the next couple of weeks. Then of course I still have my list of "must haves" that I will be looking to add next year. It just never stops!

My youngest is 17. So far he has been the most interested in the garden. While relocating stuff he would point out blooms that he liked. I will make every attempt to get those roses into our yard. He is a huge fan of stripes. It appears we may have lost his very first rose, Earthquake. He is a bit bummed as I can't seem to find anyone who sells it. But I will look again come spring.

Trish

• allison64
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found this info: **you can also use the non-yellowing UVA/UVB Varathane polyurethane. You can also decoupage the items with 10-15 coats of decoupage medium and then seal it with the Varathane using another 3-5 coats. That should not only protect the print from fading, but also the paper from deteriorating as well.**

Sounds like a lot of fussing but probably worth it. And shading it a bit is a good idea for sure. I was also thinking of using either scrap copper pipe or stainless pipe I have. (leftover from my husbands job, I knew there was a reason we kept it!) I can imagine the popsicle stick rotting away quickly, even tongue depressers. Plastic knives would be better than wood. Push them down in and the mulch should cover the rest.

Trish my boy is 15 1/2. (I'm just never going to let him date.) I ordered Earthquake mini and got a replacement, Climbing Rainbow's End mini. Tons of colors on one plant he might think that's cool? I think it might be easier to get to. Very highly rated too. I am assuming you are talking about the mini?

Allison