SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ray718

Will a Princeton Elm get scraggly-looking?

ray718
14 years ago

So I was planning to plant 2 Princeton Elms next spring at the bottom of my driveway and am now having second thoughts. This week I noticed 2 scraggly trees at the park that I believe are American Elms. After identifying these trees, I now realize I've seen other Elms around here that look struggling, thinned out, leaning, and otherwise unhealthy.

But then I look at the Elms on the various websites selling Princeton Elms as well as the trees planted in front of the White House and they look fantastic. These trees seem to be in zones 6-7. Why such a difference in appearance?

Am I looking at local trees in a losing fight against DED, or is there a genetic difference between regular American Elms and the Princeton Elm strain where one is scraggly and the other lush, full, and well-branched? If I plant Princeton Elms in Michigan, zone 5, are they going to look like the scraggly Elms in the photos below, or more like the beautiful Elms I see in zone 6-7 photos across the web? Thanks for your help.

{{gwi:417821}}

{{gwi:417822}}

{{gwi:417823}}

Here is a link that might be useful: In contrast: beautiful elms

Comments (12)