SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yutopia

Onion from Seed-- My First Time

yutopia
10 years ago

Hi All,

Newbie to starting onion seed here. I'm also new to soil blocks, which I am excited to be using for the first time this year.

I have read that Eliot Coleman recommends grouping onions in fours for planting. I'd like to start my seed in groups of four so that when planting time comes (I believe mid March for my Pittsburgh, PA, garden, but correct me if I'm wrong) I can just plop my soil plug containing four thin onion starts directly into a planting hole, where they will grow all summer into large bulbs. I will start my seed toward the end of this month so that the starts will have 6 weeks under lights in my basement.

I have seed for Southport Red and Ailsa Craig.

My goal is to simplify the process as much as possible. I'd really like to avoid transplanting tiny onion seedlings. I am concerned about the tap root however-- I can put sand in the bottom of my seed starting tray so that a tap won't be air pruned by the end of the soil block. I am planning to use the medium size soil block, although it would be awesome if the smallest size would work.

I'm looking for more experienced onion growers to tell me what's wrong with my plan and to give feedback on how onion seeds do in soil blocks.

Thanks for looking and hopefully responding, and happy growing!

Elisabeth

Comments (18)