SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittylee_gw

Need a climbing or rambler rose for pergola

kittylee
12 years ago

Hi All,

I am new to the forums and need advice. I have fallen in love with roses. We live at 7,000 ft elevation just south of Pueblo, CO, in the foothills of the Rockies. We are supposed to be zone 5b, but we had a zone 4 winter last year, with -27 degrees F. Some winters deep snow, some winters hardly any snow.

I need recommendations for a climbing or rambling rose to grow up the side and over the top (hopefully) of our largest main pergola. My DH wants something large enough to provide some shade in the heat of summer. I'm not picky about color or re-bloom. My main concern is big and winter hardy. Once the canes grow tall enough to grow up and over the top, they will be at the mercy of our winds.

We just installed the raised bed on the right hand side (see arrow) The height from the patio is about 9 feet and the top of the pergola is about 16 x 16 feet. The big wall behind blocks the North wind and the porch on the left blocks the winter West winds. This corner receives sun till late in the afternoon.

Here is a photo of the large main pergola.

{{gwi:335295}}From My Garden

I do have a Polstjarnan (Polestar) rambler rose on order for this spring from RVR, for the SW corner of a smaller pergola, but, it will have very little wind protection in that spot. Rated to zone 2, I am hoping it will be happy and provide shade in the summer over the small pond below.

{{gwi:335296}}From My Garden

Any recommendations or advice would be wonderful and much appreciated.

Comments (4)