SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
icebear_gw

Eeep! Broccoli is sprouted...garden not ready.

14 years ago

My Gypsy Broccoli is sprouted. There are at least 63 days till our last frost date. Unusually warm weather is making things a bit strange this year.

if i take these broccoli sprouts in and out of shelter/sunlight each day, will they grow too fast to transplant almost two months from now?

i'm not quite panicking, but i thought i was going to have another week to wait at least, i only happened to check the seeds by chance.

My buttercrunch lettuce also has sprouted, but i didn't intend for those to ever make it into the garden anyway... lol

Comments (7)

• 14 years ago

Don't worry about it. Broccoli is very hardy and and a very early sprouter too.

• 14 years ago

How do you plant veggies - do you try to separate seedlings or as HOS? My broccoli sprouted as well, along with cabbage, beets, kale, chard, lettuce. Now, I'm keep wondering what's next?

• 14 years ago

I planted my cabbage in HOS fashion. Then, after the seedlings had a chance to develop, I used a pair of scissors to remove the growth on the smallest ones. This keeps from disturbing the roots if you pull the weak seedlings. You only want one cabbage plant in each spot, especially if it's a heading cabbage. Beets would be the same. Lettuce, you can use the cut n come again method. Just take the scissors and cut off what you want to harvest, leaving an inch or two above the soil. It'll regrow and you can harvest more later.

• 14 years ago

i can't make myself plant in HOS fashion... i can't bear to snip the heads off too many of the sprouts and i don't have the patience to separate them all haha...

but i'm glad to know my broccoli are not heading for sure doom by popping up so quickly. i love broccoli, i am a vegeholic and broccoli is right up there with my favorite leafy greens.

i usually buy broccoli in seedling form, until i learned of WS.

• 14 years ago

Wait until after this cold snap though, its supposed to get pretty cold after our rain storm this week.. Plant mid april, they will be fine...

Peas, Lettuce, Spinich, Broccoli can be sowed early and withstand pretty cold weather.. in fact my spinich is usually done by june 1st, im harvesting and ripping peas out by mid june. Its not the cold weather crops I worry about LOL! its the warm weather ones! I never seem to have seasons long enough to enjoy those! Tomatoes are always touch and go for me...

Silverkelt

• 14 years ago

I know this thread's a bit old, but I'm hoping for some help. Some of my broccoli sprouts have several sets of leaves and are almost to the top of the milk jug. Can I plant them out now even though we could still get a frost here for another month? Are they that cold hardy? Last year I direct sowed in early April. The seeds sprouted, but they never formed heads so I thought maybe that was too late.

Caryl

• 14 years ago
Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living