SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hartwood_gw

Weird Rose Growth. RRD or Round-up?

hartwood
16 years ago

Good Morning, All.

Last week, as I was walking the dogs in the vineyard next door, I noticed some weird growth on two of their roses. It could be Round-up damage, but it also could be RRD -- I removed a definite RRD infected multiflora rose as I was clearing a fence line 4 years ago. I have since removed unimaginable amounts of multiflora, with no other RRD apparent.

During the Plant Swap Social, I asked two CRs who were here to go check it out for me. They came back leaning toward RRD, but unable to say for sure.

I went out yesterday morning with my camera (and my reading glasses, LOL) to get a better look at the situation. The two roses I originally saw are probably Dr. Huey rootstocks. They show witches broom growth, with spindly leaves, in numerous places. As I inspected all of the winery's roses, I found the worst weirdness on two roses beside their parking lot. It was this damage that is causing me to lean toward herbicide damage . . . but, again, I'm not sure enough to be comfortable. There are 14 photos in the Photobucket album, link below.

Any help I can get here from those of you who are more experienced with this will be sincerely appreciated. I have 120+ roses in pots that I just moved over here two weeks ago, and I'd hate to think that what I saw next door would mean their demise.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: Weird Rose Growth

Comments (7)