SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_trussville

B'ham Botanical Gardens receives a Sabal 'birmingham' palm

john_trussville
15 years ago

I'm thinking that some here may not be aware that Birmingham actually has a palm named after it.....but it surely does. Its true origin is still uncertain & is a topic often discussed among palm aficionados. To read the interesting history behind this palm and see a picture of the original Sabal 'birmingham' that once grew at the BBG go here:

http://www.garysnursery.com/SabalBirmingham.html

Last week I, along with a friend of mine & fellow palm enthusiast, Ray Adams of Mount Olive, transplanted a 25 - 30 yr old specimen from the Graymont Ave area in west Birmingham to the Botanical Gardens. Ray posted an account of the move (with pictures) on the Hardy Palm & Subtropical Board. I hope its ok to post a link to it here. I just thought some of you might be interested in hearing a little about Birmingham's palm history, and perhaps sometime visit the transplanted palm at its new home at the BBG.

Also, I'd be interested in hearing if any of you remember seeing the original Sabal 'birmingham' at the BBG before it died in the early 80's. If anyone knows the whereabouts of additional pictures of it, that would be fantastic!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Palm Board - Sabal 'birmingham'

Comments (3)

Sponsored