SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liashke

purple decision: Blue Moon, Heirloom, Barbra Streisand, Ebb Tide

liashke
15 years ago

I'm creating a new flower bed in the spring that allows for six new rose bushes. I keep flipping through the pages of my catalog and looking things up online, but I still haven't come any closer to making a firm decision on which purple rose to buy for my garden. I was hoping I might get some insight here. :)

I live in San Diego, away from the coast. Looking at maps, I think I'm somewhere around zone 9-10. Even if it's really 9, I feel like I should assume 10 to be on the safe side. I've been tending roses for less than six months, so I'm very much a newbie. What I love most about roses is their fragrance. I want the strongest-smelling roses possible. Basically I figure that since I have a limited space to plant them (for some reason my boyfriend doesn't want me tearing out the entire lawn to plant roses) and ever so many beautiful roses to choose from, I want the super-smelly ones.

Right now I have two roses I would put in that ultimate-smell category: Neptune and French Perfume. I love Neptune, but would like something a little darker if possible. However, I do prefer the lavender purples over the mauve purples, and I know a lot of the darker purples tend to turn reddish in heat. Since I have plenty of heat, I'm trying to avoid those.

I've been eyeing Heirloom, Blue Moon, Ebb Tide (my problem with Ebb is it's listed as a clove scent, which isn't my favorite), and Barbra Streisand.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Comments (13)