SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroleintegacay

Email from Paul at Ashdown

caroleintegacay
15 years ago

I got this in my email this evening...with a note at the bottom saying I could share it with y'all.

Carole

Over the past season I know many of you felt there is something amiss with my Nursery, Ashdown Roses. As Ive always felt complete honesty is the best way to speak with our customers, I would like to say if you have felt this you are correct; weÂve been through some shaky times that has affected our list of rose offerings, our crop and most importantly our standards of customer service.

Before I go into detail I would like to say that you have been so very understanding as Ashdown has gone through recent difficulties. These past two years Ashdown Roses has braved a near perfect storm. Thankfully, we have emerged, a bit worn, and yet triumphant in our growth and optimism

A while ago the small-town bank that we used as an agriculture and small business banking partner was swallowed by a corporate banking conglomerate. This new parent bankÂs sympathies proved unfavorable for many in the community, particularly agriculturally oriented companies like ours. This new bankÂs deep pockets found that they could not undermine the integrity of AshdownÂs business ethics, but they managed to tie and eat up many of AshdownÂs financial resources.

Though Ashdown has been vindicated of the banking conglomerateÂs squeeze (with settlement disclosure details legally prohibited), the emotional and financial stresses incurred during the year and half of the lawsuit I filed to fight back took their toll. During this time we had to use all funds previously earmarked for new rose inventories, catalogue productions, and new and favorite rose-variety selections. We also reassigned many of our dedicated staff members to other local businesses.

Trish and I decided to handle the responsibilities for running the nursery this past spring ourselves rather than disappear with your roses, or worse have them end up in legal limbo This accounted for both our and your frustrations with our tardy emails, delayed phone calls, late shipments, and many traditionally-beloved selections proving unavailable. I sincerely apologize and ask for your forgiveness and understanding regarding the disconcerting inconveniences this may have caused you. I hope you also understand why I was not able to talk about this while the legal action was ongoing.

Thankfully, I am happy to report this is now behind us and we are slowly getting back on track. We have a new part time employee who we found in the Agricultural Program at Spartanburg Tech and he is responsible for propagating your roses  including the wish list roses. We have also changed how we grow and ship your roses. We have done away with Pot-Less shipping and gone back to the past to use the proven-successful 3.5 inch square by 5 inch deep pot some of you may remember from several years ago. This will continue to keep shipping costs down and it will give you a plant easier to handle. Another benefit of going to the smaller pots will be the ability to offer you a greater inventory with a far wider selection of favorite rose varieties.

Another step we are taking with mixed emotions is we are selling the property the nursery currently resides on. I say mixed because one of the main reasons is we have been offered a parcel around the corner that sits right on the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway, a major tourist route through the Carolinas. This will give us far greater exposure and presents exciting new opportunities. Our current property is 20 acres and we simply donÂt need that much space and in fact spend time taking care of land we never even use and from a business standpoint at this point in time it makes no sense to stay. The roses planted in the ground will move us so anyone up for a rose moving party this winter let me know!

While we are excited for the long term future, this recovery period will not happen overnight and it will not happen without you and your orders. Most small businesses are facing difficult times in todayÂs economic climate. As some of you may know, recently one of this countryÂs preeminent independent rose nurseries containing a rose collection that is nothing less than a national treasure told us they are facing challenges as well. I know of others in the same situation. To this end I am simply asking all of you to focus your orders on our independent rose nurseries (in fact all independent nurseries) like us this season instead of the big box store bargain bins. I know you need to stretch your rose dollars too, but if you want to keep the diversity we all labor to provide we need your help in the form of orders. We cannot do it without you.

Another thing you can do for us personally is help us sell our property. ItÂs 20 acres in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Rolling terrain, a pond, pasture; perfect for a horse farm, small estate or short term investment. If you know of someone thinking of moving here or looking for an investment pass our name along. WeÂll put them in touch with our Realtor.

Our mission is to preserve the diversity, quality, texture, color, fragrance, and beauty of the plant we all love  The Rose. I would like to personally thank you for your past support and if we let you down recently I hope now more fully understand and give us a chance to earn your business again. Your faith in Ashdown Roses and your goodwill has helped to sustain us. With choices in purchasing roses disappearing regularly Trish and I feel even more committed to offering you a broad and unusual selection of roses. Now that the events of the past few years are behind us and with your help we can once again devote our full attention to doing so.

Paul Zimmerman

www.ashdownroses.com

PS. Feel free to post this on forums.

Comments (40)

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Many of us love the older roses, but we are so spread out across the country. THe big box stores are everywhere, and they plus the ARS define roses as those blooms that are gigantic.As one person I don't know what can be done.

Around here the nurseries as well as the larger stores sell the latest rose with the large bloom. We seldom see anything that would inspire a person to do anything but go to the stores and buy one of the roses. I don't know how a person would be able to get the local rose societies or garden clubs to begin encouraging the growth of the older varieties.

I don't know if that many people really go to public gardens and use those gardens as a source for their selection. So many people do not grow roses, but they garden. Among their other flowers, they have roses too, and their decision comes from what color would blend in well. There seems to be no selection available for the older roses.

There are a few organizations that promote the earlier roses, but being able to spread the word seems to be almost too overwhelming of a job.

Paul, I for one appreciate your email, and feel that what is happening to you is happening universally. About 5 years ago or so I thought the ARS was going to promote older roses more, but that did not seem to happen.

I wish you the best, and intend to order from you in the spring.

Sammy

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing that, Carole.
    I hope they bounce back quickly, they have such a fine reputation.
    I bought my tea rose book from them.
    It's sad to hear these great antique rose establishments are struggling.

Randy

• Related Discussions

More info on Ashdown's move

Q

Comments (2)
    I have roses from Ashdown------The folks there are wonderful and the roses are great----- I wish them the best-- sure wish I were in a position to buy more roses but DH and I have had too many surgeries to do any digging--- Florence
    ...See More

More info on Ashdown's move

Q

Comments (3)
    BTW. Trish is contributing too. And if you hate blogs it's her idea. LOL
    ...See More

Paul Zimmerman from Ashdown

Q

Comments (1)
    thanks for the notice.
    ...See More

Anybody guess who bought Ashdown's Roses?

Q

Comments (22)
    Dear karl_bapst_rosenut, Mr. Zimmerman kindly clarified that his company, Ashdown Roses, is NOT being sold to another nursery. I am positive that forum members comprehend that Mr. Zimmerman is the owner of Ashdown Roses. Independent nursery owners are unsung heroes who are dedicated to educating masses, supporting the worldwide rose market, graciously providing us with roses to cherish in our gardens, and preserving our environment. Furthermore, forum members are wanting their favorite (and also addition of) independent nurseries in their specific regional locations so that they can indulge in the enthralling world of rose gardening. A silly and sweet tug-of-war of words ensued between forum members about where they want the independent nurseries. A few months ago, I met Mr. Zimmerman at the Heritage Roses Northwest (HRNW) society meeting in Seattle, WA. I was elated to meet a pioneer in the field of roses from whom I purchased roses for my humble garden. There were many attendees at the HRNW meeting who traveled from adjacent states. We joked (and secretly wished) that we'd love for Ashdown Roses to relocate to our region. Practical considerations such high shipping costs (which is regulated by the mailing industry) may be a blocking issue in purchasing roses from independent nurseries in distant locations. It is my belief that forum members do not have dubious or malicious intentions to destruct the reputations of independent nurseries. Thank you for sharing your concerns with forum members. I sincerely request that we do not have a row about the matter in discussion. We are a family of rose enthusiasts! Rosy hugs to you. Reem
    ...See More
  • duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

Thank you for forwarding this. I've been sad to hear of the problems of the other nurseries as well. The thing is, we all only have so much room for roses in our gardens. I rarely buy a box store rose and almost exclusively support small nurseries. But still, unless I remove the garage and the house, my space is limited.

We have to get other people interested in growing them and supporting small nurseries. I know that Jeri views her work as 'missionary' work, trying to educate and encourage.

I think it was catsrose in a thread awhile ago who talked about various ways to encourage others. I do some through my local garden club, etc., but my garden is too young yet to try to convince others, although my two year old teas are pretty stupendous. Luxrose mentioned something awhile ago, too, I think.

What are some ways you all can think of to encourage others to become similarly afflicted with old roses? Anything you are doing now? it will encourage others to hear about it.

I was glad to hear Paul is speaking in Atlanta and hope he does more of it. What else is going on?

• len511
    15 years ago

Yes i got my email also. i have seen paul drop in on some of the vintage forums and wanted to ask him how business was faring for him as well, because i imagine they have all seen a sales downturn, but i didn't feel it might have been appropriate. It would be a shame to rush to save one nursery and neglect others causing their collapse.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

How sad that unfeeling and uncaring big businesses can come into a community and do so much damage. Even when a fight against them is won, the emotional and financial toll can be great and continue for a long period of time. I wish Ashdown all the best in the future. I hope your property sells soon and that your new location will promote lots of drive-by business in addition to mail order.

Ingrid

• catsrose
    15 years ago

Carole, Thank you for posting this.
    Even when we run out of room in our own gardens, there are ways to help keep these nurseries alive. We can give gifts with a tag attached giving the nursery's name and website; even better are gift certificates that force people to go look at the site. Friends, garden clubs, local arboretums, churches, schools, senior centers, etc. You can give talks, donate to non-profit auctions...

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

I'd see if that big bank needs some landscaping and then use Ashdown Roses exclusively.
    Public parks, government buildings, and city beautification projects should all be using old roses!
    -B

• oath5
    15 years ago

Despite Ashdown's woes, they still sent really nice roses to me this year. They were small, really small, but they were VIGOROUS. Mutabilis and Smith's Parish are doing wonderfully and bloomed multiple times, and the double palastrus is also moving along rather well.

A life long customer for sure here.

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

I really like the idea of giving roses to people for gifts...the gift certificate idea seems like a good way to do so too. And a major gift-giving holiday is approaching, so it is an idea.

I don't even look at the Box Stores roses anymore.

I will continue to promote Ashdown and the other specialty rose nurseries in my rose society. I can safetly say that several members have ordered from them based on my entusiastic endorsements.

Another way to support is to talk to your co-workers and get them to place an order through you. I get them hooked on old roses when I bring bouquet after bouquet after bouquet into work and share them. I've done this many times. When I place an order, it usually includes roses I'm ordering from other people. Sometimes the whole ordering online thing is overwhelming for some. But, they are eager to give me $15 to pick out a rose for them. I have several friends who say...just spend about $50 and get me some good roses. I usually pick out the most vigorous, disease resistant full proof roses I can find...success breeds success. I hope some of the people will be inspired to order on there own as well.

Robert

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago

Hey Robert, would you mind sharing what roses you select for your friends? I am looking for some vigorous disease resistant roses for myself. I have plenty of climbers, and don't care to get hybrid teas or floribundas. I would love to know what names you give your friends.

Sammy

• mkrkmr
    15 years ago

Sheesh, as if the nursery business wasn't hard enough without financial bullies! Best wishes for their move!

Mike

• caroleintegacay
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I picked up my Blackberry last night and saw the email from Paul...I admit I was almost afraid to open it after reading about the situation that Vintage is in. Considering the times we are in I look at it as almost good news. It sounds to me like Paul has a plan to go forward...all he needs is a little help from his friends. So lets help!

I can be a bit dense at times. I never realized the full extent of the bind they were in although I wondered why Paul and Trish were running the whole show themselves. If I lived closer I would have volunteered to help. IMHO they are both to be commended for what they did.

I have also given Ashdown Roses as gifts...and will keep doing so. Now I think maybe I should give more gift certificates. That gets people to their site and hopefully they will spend more once there.

As far as their moving...in the short term it will be difficult but the long term benefits certainly out weigh the negatives. The Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway is a major tourist route in the Carolinas and the increased accessability of the nursery can only increase business.

Paul also mentioned a "Rose Moving Party". I am up for it so let me be the one to help organize it. While I am nothing but a rose amateur I can dig. When the time gets closer hopefully Paul will give us some dates and we'll all meet up there and dig! dig! dig! I've been told I'm a decent cook so I'll bring some food too....how about an East Coast version of Vintage's Dirt Days?

Carole

• buford
    15 years ago

I thought banks were supposed to help, not hinder, small businesses and their customers. No wonder they are all going out of business. I don't like what is going on in the financial world today, but I hope the people from the bank involved in this are now out of business, for good.

• remontant
    15 years ago

What terrible news--I can't imagine the stress they've been working under for months. Considering my RRD losses I've been thinking I need to move to something else like irises or lavenders or other perennials--but there's nothing like a rose for three seasons of color and bloom. It's heartbreaking to lose an established rose to RRD--but maybe I should adopt the thinking that they're biennials and just enjoy them while I have them.
    I've thought of inviting our local newspaper out to show them the old roses and let them know about the difficulty the independent nurseries are having. A local nursery even had some own-root OGRs they were growing, but they had a clearance last fall and the owner said the unpurchased ones were going on the burn pile. :-(

People walking by our house sometimes ask if mine are Knockout roses--simply because the Knockouts are so heavily advertised, that's the only name people hear about. (The only thing is I'd have to do a lot of weeding and primping before a photographer could be set loose in the garden! *blush* )

• jbcarr
    15 years ago

I had noticed the downturn in their inventory, etc. I hope their business settlement is a positive one, and keeps them going. With respect to their future: you see all the earmarks on the federal "bailout bill"- e.g. tens of millions of dollars for racetracks, wooden arrow tips, etc., and it makes me mad. I would not mind seeing some grants available for nurseries like Paul's, Vintage, and all the others.They truly do have a historical agricultural heritage that is fragile, and needs protection. Too bad there is not some kind of "public-private" partnership that would help provide some cash flow, and benefit all in the long run. I will do my patriotic part to "Keep on ordering"!

• Sally "Cricket" Benfer
    15 years ago

I will also help move roses. Trish has been so generous with her time, and expertise, I can't thank her enough. I wonder if there is a timeline for the move? Sally

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Having been around the nursery during the time this was going on I can vouch for the fact that what this bank did was so premeditated, underhanded and verging on illegal that it was amazing. It took everything Paul had to fight them and it is my personal opinion that a lesser man would have given up long ago. The fact that he has tried to hold on and continue the business speaks to his love of roses and his determination to fight a bully at the expense of his own financial interests.

Moving the nursery is going to be a huge job. I encourage everyone within driving distance to come and help. An Ashdown dirt day is a wonderful idea. I'll certainly be there! I also encourage you to support them by buying roses, books, DVD's, whatever you can to help. The pruning DVD by David Stone is excellent, so if you don't need roses.....let's please try to save our small nurseries that carry the old garden roses that we love! I can assure you that they aren't getting rich doing this. They do it because they love the roses and their customers.

Carol

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    15 years ago

I had no idea of what was happening at Ashdown this past year. Paul has proven once again that he is a real hero in the rose world, keeping the business of Ashdown going through such a battle! I'm looking over my roses to see which ones I will be replacing next year and I'll definitely be placing an order, but I'd also like to show my appreciation by driving down to dig if there's an Ashdown dirt day. (It would depend on the winter weather/road conditions of course, but I sure hope I can come.) And I know that there are lots of forumers who live much closer than I do - surely we could put together a big work force to help Ashdown move and show our appreciation!

• carla17
    15 years ago

Disturbing news.
    Paul, you have my respect for enduring through this ordeal. I'm sure it's not easy to fight the "big boys." Some people just don't get that real people are affected by the pressure on small businesses.

Carla

• pandy
    15 years ago

Paul,

I had no idea what was going on but I KNEW something was since I have known youall for a few years. YEAH for small business and I hope this was plastered all over the media.

Mari

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

Paul, if you are reading this, congratulations on surviving the problems, and my heartfelt best wishes for your future success. I'm very happy you weathered the worst of the storm and I wish you good luck through the recovery period.

Rosefolly

• wild_rose_of_texas
    15 years ago

Our support here in Texas stands with you all, as well. I will add Ashdown to my prayers for prosperity!!!

Hugs,
    Allison

• lforro
    15 years ago

Reading Paul's email last night turned our stomachs. The folks at Ashdown have been such great friends to us, since we jumped headfirst into roses. And it's because of Paul's gatherings that many of us have become rose friends.

As if all the news this week wasn't bad enough, hearing of Ashdown's assault by the greedmeisters was the last straw.

We'll be happy to dig, move or do anything to help Ashdown carry on, if they plan a 'dirt day' this winter.

Lila

• caroleintegacay
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am so happy with all the support y'all have shown and the willingness to get together and help Ashdown move. And I know that Paul and Trish have just got to be thrilled to read all that has been written here.

After talking a bit more to Paul it isn't so much digging help they need (they have a bareroot rose digger) but rather help collecting the plants, getting them on the trailer, taking them to the new property and planting them in predug holes or furrows. They're also going to need help mapping all their new locations. Nothing to it!

It looks like we're looking at some time in January for the move. I guess this is when the roses are as close to being dormant as they get down here. The good thing about the South is that you can really get decent weather in January so that shouldn't be a problem. Annececelia if you can get here from Michigan it will almost be like a tropical vacation...sort of!

Sally wrote:

:::Trish has been so generous with her time, and expertise, I can't thank her enough.:::

Trish is wonderful....I can't say that enough. She has aimed me in the right rose direction over and over again. Trish (as well as Paul) have their hearts and souls in that business and what they both do for the world of roses cannot be commended enough!

Carole

• trishaw
    15 years ago

If any of you have ever wondered if it is possible to blush and cry at the same time, let me assure you that it is. I am moved beyond words. For those of you that have sent in personal messages, I will be responding in kind. Thank you all so much for every thing. I have been truly blessed with some amazing friends in this life and I am sure that Paul feels the same way. Again, thank you and bless you all.

Trish

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Annececelia, if you decide to venture over the mountains in January, you are welcome to stay here. I would love to see you again!

I talked to Paul yesterday and he was very encouraged by everyone's support. Remember, the holidays are fast approaching and a gift certificate for roses or the Tea book would be a great gift! Pruning time will be here soon enough and those who have questions about pruning would love the DVD by David Stone. Any purchase would help Ashdown keep the doors open. All hands will be appreciated during the move.

Carol

• Molineux
    15 years ago

This pretty much settles it - there is NO reason for experienced rosarians, particularly those who love Old Garden Roses, to purchase plants from big box stores and large corporate nurseries that use unregulated grafting practices. There are simply too few independent nurseries struggling to survive. As we have seen these mom and pop nurseries oftentimes carry irreplaceable cultivars. I've said this before and I'll say it again. WE CANNOT AFFORD TO LOOSE VINTAGE AND THEIR COLLECTION. We also can't loose places like Ashdown, Countryside, etc.

So buck up folks and put a stop to a bad habit. I haven't purchased a cheap box rose in well over five years and I don't miss it. Last week I put in an order with Vintage. I'm out of space so the plants will go into my mother's garden. Roses make wonderful gifts.

Patrick

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

Carol, I'm putting dibs in for some space in your home too; I want to help as well. Gean

• luanne
    15 years ago

I just want to add my respect and love for Paul and Trish and if you don't mind, a few tips for a group like Friends of Vintage. Get together and decide on someone to organize your dirt days and such. The person works in sinc with Paul and Trish arranging the days and sending out announcements to the forums and getting the group together, pot luck assignments(like Karen always brings her brownies and Geno brings the wine.) We also try to arrange housing for out of town guests etc.
    Good food is a great inducement. Our favorite part after the work used to be the visit to the Vintage store where the joy of enabling sang forth and many the day when we all took our Ellen Wilmott home or our Careless Love, comparing notes over the ensuing years. The greatest people show up for these things, great gardeners, people who care about other people, people who are willing to help out. Some of my dearest friends were acquired from this particular pastime. I wish you success and the joy of it.
    la

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

The grafted mainstream roses sold here are often terrible, dwindling away after a few years or leafing out with conspicuous mosaic while still in the garden center. Any supplier who offers genuinely clean stock should be flooded with orders for doing so.

• rosysunnygirl
    15 years ago

Anyone have any ideas for spreading the word to local nurseries without being offensive?

There's one in particular right in my area that's across from a high-profile, big selection of Proven Winners, overpriced place. The service sucks, but people must go for the selection. The smaller place is family owned, with good service, but it sells mostly annuals, super-common perennials and shrubs, own-grown and Proven Winners. No one around here sells old roses and this nursery could fill the gap left by Great Lakes Roses if it wanted to and give people a reason to come, or at least cross the street...

With its location, the nursery is in a situation to cater to wealthy and very wealthy people (who not only have a lot of rose-growing land and could hire the gardeners to care for them, but would be enticed by the idea of an antique rose, especially because of the history and not everyone has one -- roses as a staus symbol), and also the poor and not as wealthy in my area who also have old and historic homes where such roses would fit right in and low-care would be a big bonus! If this place advertised in the Michigan Gardener (our state gardening magazine), was featured in the paper by a well-known gardening columnist (who would probably love to help) and put ads in the 2 small-town papers and the neighborhood and historic district newsletters, they could easily drum up a lot of interest!

Would you write a letter? Go in? What's the nice way to say, "Look, your nursery is boring, most of the traffic is across the street, and there's not much reason to shop here. This might be a little risky, but there is some demand for these roses here that could help your business, you're in a good situation to really market yourself in the area and beyond, and here are a couple of vendors that you can buy from"?

• mashamcl
    15 years ago

I actually talked to someone in a local nursery that I like. They order from Star, Weeks, and J&P bareroot - and wholesale purchase price is very low. Then they pot them up right away and sell for $20 a rose. Come spring they increase the price to $35 a rose. The rose-stocking guy said they would not make a profit ordering from an independent grower. Then there is the demand. This nursery stocks nice HTs, floribundas and some Austins. But the most they have of any one rose is the white Iceberg. And they sell all of them at $35 a rose. So I can't really blame them for their stocking choices - they have to make a profit too, and if that's what people want, well...
    Masha

• caroleintegacay
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am thrilled with the response to this whole idea!!!

Thanks for the ideas Luanne. I figured food would work and we all know there is no better meal than when friends bring their favorites. I truly hope there will be some serious enabling going on...what are friends for?

What I'll do is keep in touch with Paul and post the dates on here. If you'd rather email me at Chrissy357@aol.com and I'll save all the emails to a separate folder. That way I can email out all the details when I know more.

How's that sound?

Carole

• pfzimmerman
    15 years ago

I've started another thread in response to your overwhelming support but directly to rosysunnygirl. I have found two things are needed to get your garden center started on unusual roses.

#1. Get in there and tell them you are not happy about their rose selection and want more. Be polite but direct.

#2. Offer to guide them in their selections then get your local rose society or forumers to show up for some rose days where you educate the public and train their staff. Independent Garden Centers want something different in roses but they are scared to jump in and need guidance.

Keep those two things in mind and I suspect you'll have luck. And oh yeah, tell them about us Independent Rose Nurseries who sells these roses and can stock them!!!!

Paul Z.

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Gean, of course you are more than welcome in my home! I will be delighted to have you here. We always have a good time when this bunch of rose nuts get together and I know this will be no exception. Plus, we will be helping Paul and Trish (who deserve and need the help) to keep Ashdown going! Everyone wins.

Carol
    P.S. I hope you like Basset hounds because Beauregard demands to be the center of attention :-)

• bluesibe
    15 years ago

Paul and Trish, I wish you the best.

Carole, I hope that this is the birth of Friends of Ashdown (FAE). There is nothing more rewarding than to go to a Dirt Day, work in a beautiful spot, talk to old friends, meet new ones and enjoy a bit of food, a reward for some work.

Carol

• Jeannie Cochell
    15 years ago

As a newsletter editor, I'd like permission from Paul to publish this letter for our rose society members. We also have local independent nurseries feeling this economic pinch. I've touted buying local for years and shied away from ordering if that rose can be purchased locally. Our rose societies have ordered bulk minis to resell at rose shows and other garden club events. I think we could possibly treat OGR's much the same way, especially if they're shipped very, very small. We don't offer roses that can be purchased locally because a.) we don't want to undermine their business and our relationship and b.) there are many classes of roses but only 5-6 are ever found at a nursery. If a rose society is supposed to be an educational group then they should be educating rosarians about roses that will do well in their climate, not just ones that 'show well'.

I'll get off my soapbox now... maybe.

• pfzimmerman
    15 years ago

Please feel free to publish. Kudos to you for supporting your local garden centers first as they too need your business. You might try approaching them about expanding their rose offerings by helping them put together an order of roses you know do well and then holding a few events there to educate both the public and their employees about them. That way everyone wins.

Paul

• rosysunnygirl
    15 years ago

Paul, couldn't find the thread, but thanks so much for the advice!! And, please, please, can I have your permission to possibly publish the letter, too (I'm not the newsletter editor, but I can ask).

and Moroseaz, I couldn't agree with you more. The problem around here is finding enough like-minded people who don't grow roses just to show them and don't see a value to them being in the garden if they can't/haven't/don't win Queen. So I think our problem is as much having to win over fellow rose growers and lovers as it is having to win over nurseries and the rest of the general public.

If a rose society is supposed to be an educational group then they should be educating rosarians about roses that will do well in their climate, not just ones that 'show well'.

• pfzimmerman
    15 years ago

You are more than welcome and yes, feel free to publish the letter. If you need some help with garden centers let us know. We supply wholesale but if you are far from us we might try to find you another rose grower that does wholesale that is closer to keep shipping costs down.

The other thread I started was to thank everyone for all the kind words and thoughts. It's on the Antique Forum as well.

Thanks
    Paul