SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

Just planted teas - did I do the right thing?

linrose
15 years ago

Well, I finally got around to finding a place to plant some of the pot ghetto. Three teas found spots in a new raised bed area created when we built some new stone walls along the deck. Backing up a bit in the story, last year I got the "tea bug" and ordered way too many to plant, let alone wonder if they would survive my zone 6b conditions. Suffice it to say they stayed in pots on my deck from spring of '07 until now when I decided they might as well go in as I didn't have any other things planned for that area.

The good news is that they lived through the winter outdoors in pots. The caveat is that they were up against a warm southern brick wall and were protected from the elements. So now I guess the worst that could happen is that they die from temperature fluctuations and cold over the winter. It was either that or end up on the compost pile anyway as I was getting rid of most of my potted roses.

So I planted Mlle. Francisca Kruger, Miss Atwood and Souv. d'un Ami next to each other. If they live, great. If they do well, that's a bonus.

In which case, can anyone tell me personal experiences with any of these three? To tell you the truth I don't really like Freddie Kruger, those vegetative centers - but when she's good, she's really really good. Poor SdA was planted out, then dug up and potted again and is still tolerating me. Anything that does that deserves a spot in the garden. Miss Atwood is one of those that fades into the woodwork, that is until it blooms, with lots and lots of blooms and then you can't keep your eyes off of her. When I remember to water her she rewards me.

My only two "planted out" teas to date are Georgetown Tea and Mme Lombard, both have done admirably and I love them. What I know of them is that they are two of the toughest teas out there, handling both drought and poor soils.

So did I do the right thing? Or should I have just gone with spireas? Marie van Houtte and Lady Hillingdon are still waiting in the wings for their own chance at prime garden spots, can I tell them they might also have a chance at the big time?

Comments (8)