SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ptwonline

Do Floribundas require a lot of care?

ptwonline
10 years ago

I'm still quite new to gardening and the only roses that I have had are the very low-care ones like Knockout and Flower Carpets. Only deadheaded them at my leisure instead of out of need, no spraying, little pruning needed so far and these things bloom like crazy.

The success in growing these has encouraged me to try new roses. For next year I was looking at some Rugosa hybrids to add more scent while staying low care, but the size and thorns make these poor options for my limited space especially by my front walkway.

So now I am looking at Floribundas. Are these roses still relatively low-care? Do they require much (if any) spraying and deadheading? I don't mind small amounts of deadheading, but the thought of having to deadhead all these blooms at once is daunting!

Any suggestions for Floribunda (or other low care) roses? I live in Toronto (my area is listed as 5b) but I'd prefer roses fully hardy to US zone 4 if possible. Looking for fragrance, good rebloom, and a size of 5x4 would be perfect, but anything close to that would be acceptable. Color doesn't matter so much right now, and I seem to like roses in pretty much every color I have seen. At least one true, deep red would be nice though.

Thanks! Hopefully this is a start of a lifelong rose passion.

Comments (10)