SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

A New Way of Gardening For Me

I'm convinced now that global warming is a reality and indeed this summer has convinced even some of the skeptics. I believe that summers will become increasingly hotter and water increasingly scarce.

With that in mind I've taken a ruthless look at my roses' performance this summer and have already begun to weed out those roses that are not blooming, have lots of browned leaves and just generally look miserable.

Gone already are Reve d'Or, Duchesse de Brabant, Celine Forestier, Charles Darwin, Deuil de Dr. Reynaud (healthy bush but roses fry immediately) Sophy's Perpetual (petals are too thin, fries within hours). Next to go are Lavender Dream (completely denuded of leaves every summer and basically a spring bloomer for me) and Coquette de Blanches. Both will be replaced with cedars. Mrs. Dudley Cross and Mrs. B.R. Cant by the driveway have both died of the heat and will also be replaced with cedars. Fortunately I have two other plants of each elsewhere. Several other roses are under consideration but I don't want to make hasty judgments. Lavender Simplicity will also go because this summer it did really poorly compared to other summers. It will be replaced by Stephen's Big Purple which I understand does well in the heat.

I'm not giving up on roses and have eleven more on order. At the time of ordering I hadn't made this decision and am reluctant to cancel and deprive rose nurseries of the revenue. Even so in the final analysis I will have fewer roses than when I started out and as time goes on I'll no doubt be eliminating more that aren't doing well.

I'm doing this for my piece of mind since it's very frustrating for me to pour water on roses that don't perform at least to some extent during the summer. I know those roses exist because I have them in my garden now, and have ordered more of the same, such as SdlM and La France. I had to pick three buds off La France, to my great satisfaction. Sea Mist has also been a winner.

I was going to cancel ORG Renae since I planned for it to take Lavender Dream's place where I've now decided to plant a cedar, but will instead try it in the back yard where Bon Silene is languishing.

I'm approaching this in a spirit of optimism, although in the background of my mind there is always the thought of the dire consequences we're facing, the magnitude of which many people are not informed about. Still, my goal is to make every day as happy as I can make it, and my garden and roses are very much a part of that happiness. I will have fewer roses, but they will be the most beautiful and best for my climate, and the need for water will be reduced.

I wonder if anyone else has given thought to this situation or taken steps to address it in some way. I know many of you are already conserving water, which is one of best things anyone can do.

Ingrid

Comments (25)