SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

How to transplant mature roses, but not chilli thrips?

There is a young man (translate 'strong') in my city who is interesting in taking some of my roses even though they have chilli thrips. I have warned him not to try it in order to forestall the arrival of chilli thips in his garden, but he's coming over this afternoon to talk it over. He's a 'Master Gardener' and quite knowledable about plants.

I'm wondering if the roses could be safely transplanted when they are semi-dormant in January and the chilli thrips eliminated by cutting them back, stripping the leaves, spraying them with something (but what?) and the bare roots rinsed. Roses never go completely dormant in this climate. He would have holes dug and they would be immediately planted. Some of them are on Fortuniana roots. Most of them, even those on Fortuniana roots, are in large containers.

What do you all think? Can they take this severe treatment or would it be too much of a shock for them? How much cane cut back can Austins and antique tea roses tolerate? And do you think the treatment would serve to do away with chilli thrips that are present? I don't like to use insecticides, but perhaps the roses should be treated also before digging, perhaps with imidacloprid, which Dr. Manners said they are using to treat for chilli thrips.

I know there is nothing that would be sure fire, but might be worth a try. I would very much appreciate your opinions.

Comments (4)