SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

photos/state of rose bushes around the yard img hvy

aimeekitty
13 years ago

per yours and my local nursery-lady's advice, This past weekend I put Gro-Power Plus (bottom), Alfalfa Meal (middle) and Chicken Manure (top layer)) and watered that in on all my roses.

I thought, since it's been a while, it might be a good time to post photos of the rose bushes themselves and get a "report card" on the leaves and plants. Like I said in my previous thread, most of these have been in since January, with a few being planted this past June (those were mostly 2 galls from ARE, though)

zone 9-10, SW 18, inland so-cal. heavy clay alkaline soil (amended as planted)

We've had an unusually mild summer (not as hot as normal) but we did have a spike of about 110 for a few days, and then it went back down to the 80s and 90s.

Y'all know that I'm a newbie. This is my first season really having my own garden and my first season with roses, so I don't really know what NORMAL is, and I don't know what normal is for my climate, either.

I'm hoping you can tell me if there's something I need to do, or if "it's fine".

Please forgive the light balance on these photos.

The roses in front of the camellia next to the garage, from left to right, Rita Sammons, Leda Rose, Penelope

{{gwi:312889}}

The same Leda, looking pretty happy to me

{{gwi:312891}}

Felicia, getting partial shade but some afternoon sun. Are these yellow leaves ok? I worry this plant doesn't get enough sun, even though its' listed as shade tolerant. It hasn't grown much since Jan compared to it's sisters.

{{gwi:312892}}

The smaller of my two MACs on the pillars of my front porch. they get afternoon sun only. This one gets less sun, which probably explains why it's smaller, but I think it's still doing ok. Some yellow and brown at the leaf tips??

{{gwi:312893}}

The Prince, which is right in front of the larger MAC. Only gets afternoon sun. Didn't grow at all for several months, but then this summer suddenly started growing. Seems pretty happy?

{{gwi:312894}}

The larger of the two MACs on the front porch pillars. YAY. Grow, my pretty, grow!

{{gwi:312895}}

I have two Wildeves in the same front shade/afternoon sun position, they both seem pretty happy, about like this one.

{{gwi:312931}}

Baronne Prevost, gets sun most of the day, a 2 gall from ARE put in this summer. Seems happy.

{{gwi:312932}}

La Reine, similar sun position, seems happy. Also 2 gall from ARE this summer.

{{gwi:312933}}

Carding Mill, 1 gall from RU this early summer, seems fine?

{{gwi:312935}}

Queen of Sweden, 1 gall from RU this early summer. mostly fine, but a few problem leaves that I highlighted

{{gwi:312936}}

a seemingly very happy Mme. Berard which was a band from RVR 5/8

{{gwi:312937}}

an, I'm assuming, very unhappy Reine des Violettes. A band from RVR planted directly in the ground this past Dec. I've amended to make the soil near her more acid, but... recently she dropped all her leaves, and before that ... she's only had like 3 leaves since Dec anyway. :\ Considering potting her up and seeing if I can get her to grow better that way.

{{gwi:280813}}

Sydonie, seems fine? A few yellow/brown creeping on the tips of the leaves?

RVR gall, planted in Dec

{{gwi:312938}}

Belle Storey

Not sure what's up with her, really. She's bloomed two flushes since planted in January as a 5 gall,... but never really has all that many leaves and, I dunno, just seems a bit unhappy?

{{gwi:312939}}

{{gwi:312888}}, (sorry, I forgot to downsize it...) Mortimer,... unlike pretty much all of the other DA bareroots I planted this spring, has only attempted to bloom once and the leaves don't seem to be as healthy as the other DAs I have either. I'm not sure if theres anything I can do to help it a bit?

Jude the Obscure, mostly happy, but a few leaves look like this: (should I worry?)

{{gwi:312940}}

Another Jude

{{gwi:312942}}

Lady Banks yellow. Again, seems vaguely a bit unhappy? or is this normal?

{{gwi:312943}}

William Shakespeare 2000,... again, should I worry about the leaves?

{{gwi:312944}}

tiny band of Gloire de Dijon that just doesn't seem to grow much compared to the others. Also, leaves...? (RVR band, planted late Dec)

{{gwi:312945}}

Tiffany

{{gwi:312946}}

Sombrieulle

{{gwi:312947}}

Happy Eden cl

{{gwi:312948}}

VERY happy James Galway cl. It's grown the most of my DA bareroots (all planted at the same time) but IT was the one that took so long to start sprouting that I was worried it was a dud! You guys encouraged me to wait, and then it sprang up!

{{gwi:312949}}

Alchemist seems to be really happy... can you see the long cane growing into the foreground and through the agapanthus?

{{gwi:312950}}

potted till I figure out what to do with her, Maman Cochet cl (also seems happy?)

{{gwi:312951}}

Comments (8)