SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandy808

Marechal Niel

sandy808
16 years ago

I bought a really nice plant of Marechal Niel virus free and grafted on fortuniana at the Central Florida Heritage Rose Society meeting.

Since then I've done a search on this forum to find out a little bit about this rose. The information about it is a bit discouraging. However, I still have my heart set on giving it a try.

Has anyone had any luck growing this rose with western exposure? The particular area that has an available trellis is western exposure, and the direct sun doesn't get to it until about 1:00 or 1:30 in the afternoon. The area is not obstructed by trees or anything, and would have full sun until sunset. That's not a great deal in the winter, but quite a bit in summer.

In addition, this rose sounds like it wants to devour everything in sight. The trellis is only 6 feet tall and about 5 to 6 feet wide, but there is room to put some eye bolts along the edge of the roof to tie it so it trails along the front of the house and over the top of a window (one story house). However, I don't know if this would be good for my house.

Otherwise, I could probably have a heavy duty aluminum custom built trellis along a path from the screenhouse in the back, and it would hide our pool equipment, air conditioning unit, etc. (full all day sun). I was thinking a trellis that would be about 6 or 7 feet high by 20 feet long. The problem is, I don't think I can afford it right now. This would probably be my dream way of displaying this climber, but....

So how much sun does this guy need to be happy and healthy, if I can't give him all day sun? Would the west side work? If not, any suggestions of an affordable way to display this rose? It doesn't sound like it tolerates pruning very well.

Sandy

Comments (23)