SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelg_gw

Enjoying 'Mme. Cornelissen'

michaelg
12 years ago

The 'Souvenir de la Malmaison' family is pretty well adapted to my neighborhood, and I'm growing five of the sports. When I tried SdlM long ago, it balled constantly, so I don't have it now for direct comparison. Mme C is the latest arrival, now in her second or third season from Roses Unlimited, where she is incorrectly known as "Edith de Murat."

This rose is growing well and has been a terrific bloomer. Like other family members, it wants to grow sideways--my 'Kronprinzessin Viktoria' now sprawls 5-6' wide and entangles its neighbors. Mme C has dense, attractive blue-green foliage like SdlM and 'Mystic Beauty.' When I neglected to spray for a long time this spring, Mme C and siblings came through with relatively little blackspot while many roses defoliated.

This week I learned that Mme C has excellent vase life for an OGR, staying crisp for five full days with no special treatment after being cut as loosening buds. All the Mme C blooms outlasted the 'Mystic Beauty' ones. However, MB has slightly better fragrance to my nose and more perfect form, basically the same as SdlM.

But Mme's flowers are delightful, especially in the early stages. The outer petals are strongly ruffled and pinked (notched). An oddity is that one of the outer petals is usually underdeveloped, yielding the squarish face that you see in many of the HMF photos.

So far, Mme hasn't balled excessively as SdlM and 'Capitaine Dyel' do, but like 'Souvenir de St. Annes' she does get some brown spots of botrytis blight after a cool rain. KpV is quite resistant to botrytis, and MB is not bad. For some reason, these roses don't seem to attract a lot of thrips.

There are many interesting little differences among the sports beyond color and bloom form. I know that SdlM gets bad mildew on the West Coast, but I wonder if all the sports have the same weakness. Foliage of KpV, for example, is very different from SdlM foliage in color and texture.

Comments (21)