SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

'Mme. Antoine Mari' is white

melissa_thefarm
11 years ago

I just picked my first bloom of 'Mme. Antoine Mari'. The flower is large and full, reflecting our superabundant rainfall, but instead of this variety's usual pink-and-cream, it is yellowish white entirely. This is a color I see on MAM's November blooms, when the days are short and dark. It's the first time she's had white flowers in May, and is evidence of how steadily gray it has been here this year.
We certainly have quite a grass crop this spring. 'Alba Maxima' has rust, only the second time I've seen it in the garden, and the Hybrid Musks down in the shade garden have a distressing fungal disease (I think) that rolls their leaves up; this disease appears to a lesser extent on some of the other roses, always where they're in a lot of shade. The once-blooming old roses are mostly fine and happy with these conditions, and the warm climate roses that aren't too wet and shady are growing like champions. The tree peonies are in bloom now, and there's no flower more spectacular than that of a tree peony. They like our conditions, and as far as I'm concerned, I haven't come close to reaching tree peony saturation, and intend to add a lot more of them to the garden.
The garden is more of a mess than usual (it's never very tidy) because much of the time the grass is too wet to cut, and it needs constant mowing and trimming this time of year anyway. Yesterday in the afternoon it was dry and I was out with my shears cutting grass in the beds. My fall digging and amending looks like they may have borne fruit in improved soil and better growth for the roses. The grass that grows in the beds is their principal amendment, so that, tiresome though it is to cut it by hand, its lush growth is good for the soil. I need to keep at it, though: the rains have laid the grass flat, and tall as it is it could smother particularly small plants.
I'm thinking of taking spring rose cuttings. Usually I don't do this because it gets hot and dry too early for the cuttings to have time to root, but this year is so wet (and forecast to stay so for a while) that I think it might be worth a try. The yield from the fall cuttings was really bad; excessive wet again, probably.
Melissa.

This post was edited by melissa_thefarm on Thu, May 9, 13 at 0:31

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH