SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catsrose

French [rose] gardens

catsrose
10 years ago

As per my previous posts, I was somewhat disappointed in the Paris rose gardens: Roserie de l'Hay because it was run down, Malmaison because it had few and only modern roses, and Bagatelle which was lovely but almost exclusively modern, except for some ramblers, which of course weren't in bloom. What I did like about all the gardens and parks, and they are many in Paris, is the balance between formal and informal. Many had the very formal structure, but beds bursting with a wild and deceptively random displays of annuals and perennials. I found the whole look very restful and yet stimulating. It seems to reflect French culture as a whole. They are passionate and sensual and yet very civilized, reserved and circumspect. So I have come home vowing to add a little more formality to my garden while beefing up my beds with annuals and companion plants.

Photos, which I seem to have to post separately, are Roseraie, Malmaison, Bagatelle, Bagatelle and Railroad Tracks. This last photo is of a community garden along terrace just above an abandoned railroad track. It goes for about two blocks and includes veggies, flowers, and cat feeding stations.

Comments (2)