SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawberrygoat

best idea I've read, for raised beds, from recycled car tires

strawberrygoat
21 years ago

This idea, I came across clearly by accident. I'm getting a hoop house soon, dirt cheap and was looking for information about the construction of one. Retracing my steps, here goes...Google...hoop houses...The 3rd post is "hoop houses for early crops 2002"...scroll down to related articles "permanent raised beds"...choose a topic, top right...click on recycled auto tires for raised beds...from there it walks ya through the tearing down of tires and reconstruction of raised beds from the rubber. I've only been aware of tires being used as is and filled with dirt. Or for potatoes, to fill and layer up with more intact tires. This other idea of the beds being outlined by the tire material seems to be a rugged, sturdy, heat absorbing, clean, smooth and eye appealing way to go. I have 4 of them in the back yard as I post. I've tossed as many, in the past month when I got the snow tires. Any takers on this idea? Have others even heard of this concept? Don't know that I'd dare to tackle the tractor tires available at the farm near by. Sure would be a nice height to work at, though. I'd sure like to know what any of you out there think about this idea and how you'd approach it.

Comments (11)